How I Made a Template for My Irregular Stoma

Replies
Views
PatriciaSz
Feb 21, 2024 10:42 am

I have a very irregular-shaped ileostomy stoma and developed a stomal fistula in a V shape on one side. Cutting the opening on the wafer to fit was beyond frustrating, and my skin was suffering greatly. So was my mental state.

I used the stomal measurement guide and chose a size slightly larger than the stoma. I took a picture with my phone. I then enlarged it so the circles of the measuring guide matched, so it was true to size. I took a clear piece of plastic and traced my stoma.

It's been an emotional and physical lifesaver after weeks of getting it wrong. And Eakin seals by Convatec have been a godsend.

IGGIE
Feb 21, 2024 1:26 pm

Well done, great idea.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Morning glory
Feb 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Thanks for sharing. Great news this is working for you. You're very clever to have thought this out and made your own template.

Dharms
Feb 21, 2024 3:28 pm

Great story - thanks for sharing! 👍

Jayne
Feb 21, 2024 6:04 pm

Thank you for sharing not only the ingenuity of arriving at an accurate template - nice one! - but in so doing, sharing the fact of your stomal fistula!

Your positive attitude is a credit - may you always have such presence of mind and positive nature.

Best wishes

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jayne

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Axl
Feb 22, 2024 1:28 am

Good work, a great tip for the difficult ones. 👏

JVM261
Feb 22, 2024 4:41 am

Such a great story of finding a solution, and thanks for sharing.