Returning to normal bowel function

Replies
Views
Nurse

1 week post op. Seem to have no bowel control.  Stand and just comes out.  Also concerned about UTI. Wearing depends because I never know when a bowel movement will come.

Newhere

Do you still have much colon left? What was the reason for your colostamy? It took me a while, over a week anyway for things to settle down, I had reversal in August 23. Take care, rest up, Bill.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Return of normal bowel function is the goal of reversal for me.  So far I have refused reversal because "the bag" is better than uncontrolled rectal leakage.  

IGGIE

You might feel more normal with a reversal but for me the Bag wins every time, and I am alive to tell you that. Regards IGGIE

Bill

Hello Nurse.
I see from your profile that you have a temporary colostomy and are expecting a reversal in February (this month).
What people normally associate with bowel control is the sphincter, which keeps the output in until you need to go. This is a very useful natural device (if it works). 
However your stoma diverts the output before it reaches the sphincter, so, at present, you are reliant on the autonomic system that works the peristalsis in the digestive system. The autonomic system is, as is implied, 'automatic' and is not very amenable to our 'control'. 
Catching the output in a bag is the most convenient way of 'managing' this until your reversal. 
If you colostomy was going to be permanent, I would suggest that irrigation might be a better option as it often prevents output for long periods (usually until the next irrigation session). 
You are very fortunate if you are a suitable candidate for a reversal so soon after your operation. People with more permanent stomas need to adjust to what is commonly labelled as their 'new-normal', which is often precisely what you describe in terms of lack of personal control over the output. 
This 'new-normal' is not easy to adjust to but in your case, where a reversal is in the immediate future, it might be useful to view your condition as like any other 'injury', which will take time to nurse/manage/ and put up with until it heals. 
Do keep us in touch with how things progress as your story may be important for others in similar circumstances.
Best wishes

Bill 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
MBT

Might help to get in touch with your doctor. Pelvic floor therapy may also be helpful ❤️