Passing Pellets from Stoma Bag: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
sandimay
Feb 25, 2024 10:03 am

I have had my stoma bag for just over 12 months now. Generally, I get on well with it with no major problems.

I have noticed that I am regularly passing what looks like small pellets, quite soft. I have mentioned these pellets to my stoma nurse and also my doctor, and they do not seem bothered, but nobody has been able to explain. Does anybody have any info?

AlexT
Feb 25, 2024 10:16 am

Poop pellets? If so, what's the problem? Depending on what you eat and drink dictates how the poo flows out of you. I get pellets quite often as I know I don't hydrate enough.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,840 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Feb 25, 2024 2:30 pm

I have a colostomy. My bag fills with many variations of poop, depending on what I've eaten and what I drink.

Everything from soft liquid to hard turdlets.

Only worry when nothing comes out for an extended time; then the fun begins.

Morning glory
Feb 25, 2024 6:06 pm

Try increasing your fluids. This is very important. You sure don't want to experience a blockage.

TerryLT
Feb 25, 2024 9:27 pm

I'm not clear on where you are passing these pellets from. Your stoma or your bum? As others have said, if you aren't drinking enough liquids, your output will be firmer, but if these pellets are coming from your bum, it's probably mucus. That is common and normal. Your body will continue to produce the same lubricant it always did to move the stool through your bowel, not having 'gotten the memo' that its services are no longer required.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE
Feb 26, 2024 3:04 pm

You're not related to Bugs Bunny by any chance, are you? Regards, IGGIE

Ostomate & woundr
Feb 27, 2024 4:48 am

You don't mention if you are passing them in your pouch or from your rectum. Do you even still have a rectum?

papaboo
Apr 25, 2024 4:37 am

More fluids. Try some MiraLAX; that will help get it started.

Flintstud1
May 06, 2024 4:55 am
Reply to Morning glory

Banana a day....