Anyone has had a Hartmann Procedure reversal?

Replies
Views
Etoile

It has been a year and a half since my emergency Hartman Procedure colostomy for diverticulitis and sepsis. I couldn't get it reversed soon after because I had to have a brain surgery . I would like to do the reversal, but I heard that it is quite complex and could be dangerous. I am trying to find former ostomates that fared well with this type of reversal. Thank you for your help

warrior

Hi. Welcome. There are a few members here that went thru this procedure recently...and some have had it for many years.

Just sit tight. They will chime in.

May I ask u elaborate more? Such as we know u have a colostomy.. and it's been some time indeed. Bc of other surgery...do u know how much colon is left?  The more details you give, the more we can help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Yes.  Details matter, as Warrior posted.

How much of your colon remains. 

How long is your rectal stump.

You should consider getting Anal sphincter electromyography (EMG) and anorectal manometry tests to assess that your anal muscle (sphincter) and nerves are working correctly. 

How is your general health.

Reversal really has 2 parts.  1.  The physical joining of your intestines to your rectal stump.  2.  Operation of your bowels.  

You need to consult with a surgeon, who is familiar with your Ostomy, about risks, based on your unique medical situation.

Many Ostomymates have successful reversal surgery and are happy.

Many Ostomymates have reversals that don't work out so well.  Scar tissue build up.  Incontinence.  Leaks.  Some go back to having an Ostomy.

Look up posts from moemoe and DexieB on this web site.  They both recently underwent reversal surgery.

Good luck

MoeMoe

Hi Etoile! Welcome!!
I am still recovering from Harmann’s reversal, I’m almost 3 weeks out of surgery. Like you, I needed an emergency colostomy due to diverticulitis with perforation, septic and I had c-diff too. They removed 12 inches of colon and a few inches from my small intestines, it got sucked in to one of the perforations in my colon and was damaged. I had my reversal 8 months after I got my stoma. Recovery has gone well so far. I have posted my progress from day 1, check my posts for details. Every body heals differently so you will need to talk to your doc about your specific case but my experience has gone well so far. As BeachBoy mentioned, DexieB also had a reversal done earlier this year (check her posts), and I believe she is also healing well. I also don’t mind any questions you may have, I’m pretty candid and am willing to share anything that helps you on your journey. 🙂

amkevergreen

Greetings:

I will be having this discussion next week with my Surgeon...Like MoeMoe I had 12" of colon with perforation removed 01 27 2023....  all the rest is intact...

I will try to relay the discussion....

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Footie97

Etoile

i had Hartmann reversal nearly 3 years ago.   I had a VERY hard and long recovery.  I am glad I did it, but I was really sick for a year afterwards.  I was in and out of hospital 5-6 times, 4 open abdominal surgeries for adhesions, contracted C dif.   It took 2 years for bowel habits to normalize, ICU for 13 days…. I had a much harder time with reversal than ostomy surgery.   I lost 18” of colon due to Diverticulitis and sepsis but Sigmoid and rectum were intact.   What i learned from 6 abdominal surgeries: opt for NG tube just in case, get up and walk as soon as you can, ask for a walker for support(I found it difficult to stand upright), take baby wipes, barrier cream and depends with you for reversal.  My reversal was only 3 months after ostomy.  

don’t let my difficult reversal dissuade you because I am happy and healthy now. 
good luck with your decision!

footie

Newhere

Hello Etoile, I had perforation due to diverticulitis and septis, same as yourself. I had my stoma for 7 months and had reversal 6 months ago.

Both were open surgery,  Life is good, I healed pretty quickly, and all is well Bill.

jasonhkrsimmons

I had a reversal 12 years ago. It did take a little time to recover but no major issues at all tbh. I must admit, once I got used to the bag, I did consider not reversing, as you kinda get used to it and it’s a pretty easy life with a bag … all said, if it’s an option then do consider it and let the surgeons do their thing. I’ve had no negative outcome to mine so far !! 

patandwinnie55

Etoile - thanks for posting your question. My medical team has never mentioned "Hartman", but based on my reading, I suspect that's what I had, and I too will be having it reversed soon.  Reading all the responses from others who have gone through reversal, I obviously need to ask more qustions of my medical team. I lost "40%" of my colon in an accident.  Good luck to you; and thanks to all who have shared their experiences. Very helpful.

parrom

I also had a Hartmann’s in Jan 23 but mine was due to volvulus (twisted colon). Anyone had a reversal after that condition? I’m on the waiting list for later this year.

@MoeMoe Your recovery diary was really interesting and helpful.

DexieB

Hi there, I had emergency Hartmann's surgery due to a perforation during a flexible sigmoidoscopy - got peritonitis and sepsis, spent 21 days in the hospital, woke up with a colostomy after surgery- they removed my sigmoid colon.  I had the colostomy for 8 months - reversal was Jan 30, 2024.  My surgeon did not do any tests leading up to the reversal - perhaps because I had no prior conditions (except cancerous polyp, but it was contained to the polyp) - just the perforation. 

The reversal went great and I only spent a few days in the hospital - I was eating the next day (unlike the first time in the hospital when I didn't eat for 8 days).  I was going to the bathroom quickly after, and my habits got right back on track.  I had serious reservations about getting a reversal, because I had such a horrific experience with the previous surgery...but I did not want to always be wondering 'what if I could have reversed it'.  So I took a leap of faith and I have no regrets.

It took about 6 weeks for my old stoma site to heal up from the inside out with no staples or stitches, and the little cuts (laproscopic) healed pretty quickly.  I am eating and going to the bathroom normally, and am back to work as of last week!

Best of luck to you in your decision - do what feels right to you!  

MoeMoe
Reply to parrom

Thank you Parrom, I can’t comment on your specific situation but I’m glad to be of help. Good luck to you! Hoping all will go well! 🙂 keep us posted. 

Dogen\'s bag

I had a reversal in august, the surgery was long and complicated but my recovery was/is really well with no complications. 

I trusted my surgeon here in Ottawa Canada.  She assured me it could be done, warned me of possible complications but said that if she were in my shoes with my specific case she would do it.  

I was terrified and unsure but am so happy I did it.  For all the bad cases there are good ones and mine was one.  My quality of life changed for the better and I do not regret it at all.  

I am happy to answer any questions about my case that you may have.

Have an awesome day!