Constipation

Replies
Views
J3n84

Hi all newbie here I’ve had my ostomy since June of 2023 lately I’ve been dealing with constipation what do yall do/eat to get rid of constipation. I also have cerebral palsy

warrior

Welcome Jen. YOU are in the right place.  Not only for osty advice but also some members if I recall correctly also have CP. or something related. Forgive my ignorance of that subject.

Sit tight.  Help is on way. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus

Coke a cola or grape juice but beware of gas ballooning with the coke

CrappyColon

Hi Jen, what type of ostomy do you have? Reason for ostomy? 

aTraveler

Generally, constipation is treated by following the basics of good intestinal health:   

• A high fiber diet 

• Twenty-five to thirty-five grams of fiber is the recommended daily amount of dietary fiber. A diet rich in whole grain breads, cereals and fiber bars, in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables, often will improve bowel habits by adding bulk to the stool. 

• Proper daily fluid intake  • Drinking six to eight glasses of water per day helps relieve constipation by preventing stool from being hard, which makes it easier to pass stool through the colon.  

• Regular physical activity and exercise  • Lastly, regular exercise, which can be as simple as taking a brisk walk for 30 minutes per day, will likely improve bowel movements.  

There are many different over-the-counter laxatives available. 

• The way in which laxatives work varies by laxative type, but they can be very effective for fast relief of constipation. 

• Although it may be necessary to take laxatives on a regular basis, you should only do so after consultation with your medical provider.   

If you are more inclined to really understand constipation:

https://fascrs.org/patients/diseases-and-conditions/a-z/constipation-expanded-version

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mysterious Mose

It would help a lot to know which type of ostomy you have? What is good for a colostomy may not be good for an ileostomy and vice versa. For instance, many ileostomates have to be careful with diets high in insoluble fiber.

Morning glory

Try coffee, prune juice, grape juice or even pickle juice for fast results.

J3n84
Reply to CrappyColon

I have a colostomy and I had a bowel obstruction (it was an emergency surgery)