Leaking

Replies
Views
Kimy

I’m 3weeks po Ileostomy. Trouble with leaking under wafer at base of stoma. I think I’m cutting the wafer to fit closely and using the putty like ring. And making sure wafer sticks well. Any suggestions?

Beth22

How close are you cutting  the wafer , To the size of the stoma with no gaps ?  Making sure the skin is clean without using perfume or scent based soaps, like dial antibacterial is what I will use once a week the rest of the tip it's warm water. Making sure the skin is free of all adhesive remover , warming up the wafer before applying and holding it in place once it's on to make sure you get a good deal. Keeping a little air in the bag so it's not vacuumed sealed closed around the stoma. And have you tried other brands as well to see if another one sticks better to your skin ? 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,615 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Littlefish

Hi Kimy,  I am roughly 9 months post-surgery.  Had frequent leaks the first few months while stoma size was evolving.  Finally found that convex pouches worked much better for me than flat. Was happy when size became consistent, and I could start using precut.  Like others suggested to me; make sure area is clean and dry, use skin barrier liberally, powder just around stoma, and a place the sealing ring or paste around the opening edge of the flange first before fitting over stoma. Hold firmly against the skin for a few minutes after installing.  A belt or support belt helps me when active. Just suggestions.  Don't be afraid to experiment and find a routine best for you.  Confident you will work thing out very quickly.   fish

JVM261

Maybe take an anti-diarrheal medication prescribed by your doctor to see if that helps. But the underlining issue is finding the right fit. I have some Weeks where I go where nothing is wrong and then sometimes I have leaks twice in a week after not having anything for three weeks. It’s very hit or miss sometimes and sometimes you just have to go with the punches. But I would talk to a ostomy nurse. It will get better. Hang on.

Beachboy

3 weeks post op, your body is still adjusting to your new normal.  Try different brands of wafer/bag.  Try 2 piece system, one piece system.  Barrier rings, convex wafer.  You gotta find what works for you.  

Is the skin around your stoma flat?  Are there any skin creases, bulges?  

When you remove a used wafer, look at the sealing area.  Note where the leak was.  Next time you remove a used wafer, see if the leak is in the same area.  If so, you can stick a piece of moldable barrier ring on your skin in that area.  Then install your new wafer.  

You can also use a support belt.  Hollister makes a thin, elastic belt that clips onto the bag flange.

Nu-Hope corporation makes a wide variety of belts.  

You can order belts from your ostomy supply company 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Kimy welcome to the site, the info others have given is pretty much spot onits early on with your ostomy and it will be more on the runny side and easier to get leaks until your system settles down. I try to use foods to thicken my output like peanut butter, applesauce, fruit smoothies, also i take one generic immodium a day, i also sleep on my side opposite my stoma so as not to let the output pool around my stoma causing leaks. 

aTraveler

You should also consider a moldable barrier. I found the use of a moldable barrier along with a barrier ring underneath hugging the stoma works best for me. The following manufactures make moldable barriers:

ConvaTec: https://www.convatec.com/ostomy-care/guide-to-ostomy-products/our-technologies/convatec-moldable-technology/

Hollister: https://www.hollister.com/en/products/Ostomy-Care-Products/Two-Piece-Pouching-Systems/Skin-Barriers/Flat-Skin-Barriers/New-Image-Flat-FormaFlex-Skin-Barrier

You should order free samples from each manufacturer to see how they work for you.

Hisbiscus

Try a convex bag with a ring. Maybe try to incorporate some foods that cause thick stool such as banana, rice etc and stay away from acidic stuff like spaghetti sauce, carbonated drinks like Pepsi, coke etc. 

Watch that your not cutting the hole too small cut that will cause leaks as well as cutting too large. A new stoma will.change in size over time and also with weight gain or loss so good to measure regularly. 

Hand lotions, hair conditioners and shampoos you want to keep away from your ostomy area as they will cause your bag not to stick well. Clean area with soap such as dial white or ivory. Make sure all old adhesive is removed first with a adhesive remover wipes and then clean the area good with soap and water making sure to rinse away all adhesive remover ,soap etc. Rinse well and dry well before applying the new bag.