Post Colostomy Reversal One Month

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

Hi All!! Just checking in. Today is the 32nd day since I had my colostomy reversed. For the most part I am pain free. I get twinges of pain every now and then in my rectum, at the ostomy site and on the side where my stoma is throughout the day. If I rub my hand over my lower belly about 3 inches from where the ostomy was, there is surface pain. I can’t quite describe it but it’s like if you have a burn and the pain is from the nerve endings when it’s touched, kinda like that but only when I rub my hand over it. The shoulder pain is gone too finally, that was a weird pain. My appetite has came back and I’ve returned to my normal vegetarian diet, although I’m still scared and steer away from the skins of the fruits and veggies and out of habit (and fear), I still chew my food extra, extra good. For some reason my brain is scarred from the possibility of blockages so I have to work on that mental fear LOL So far, there aren’t any foods that I have issues with like when I had the stoma. Most of my stools are formed and I have 3 BMs a day now, twice in the early morning and once in the evening, no pain with pooping. Unfortunately, BMs are still bloody, still scary and worrisome but doc said it was normal. The swelling has gone down significantly in my abdominal area, I just have swelling above the stoma closure where the hernia used to be but the bulgey pubic area swelling remains. Today, the last of the tape the surgeon applied after removing the staples, fell off and the scar is barely visible. Even though my entire abdomen looks a hot mess from the two open surgeries, and since the swelling has subsided, it doesn’t look as bad as it did right after surgery. I am still wearing the abdominal binder daily. Overall I am feeling blessed and healing well.
I hope everyone has a super fantastic weekend!! Be well friends! 

eefyjig

Great! I hope you continue on this easy trajectory!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,533 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

So happy  for you. You have done really well. 

IGGIE

Keep going MoeMoe. IGGIE

MoeMoe
Reply to eefyjig

Eefyjig, thank you so much! 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
MoeMoe
Reply to Morning glory

Thank you Morning Glory! 

MoeMoe
Reply to IGGIE

Thx Iggie! 

DexieB

Hey, glad to hear you are doing so well!  I also had the surface pain, it was where my wafer used to go.  My skin got extremely dry there and kind of burned to the touch.  I figured it was nerve pain or my skin regenerating…it has subsided now. 

I too had that fear of eating anything that might be a problem , that has also subsided and I find myself gaining weight now if I’m not careful! My abdomen is also a hot mess, but I guess they are my battle scars.  I do have a small hernia as mentioned…I see the surgeon for a consult in June.  Not sure if I’m going to do anything about it or just live with it for as long as I can…I’m pretty burned out on surgery right now.  I also don’t want to wait until my medical deductible renews again either- if I do it this year I won’t have to pay, since I have already met the max with my January surgery !  I’ve gotten slammed with meeting the out of pocket max last year and now this year, plus had 4 months off of work mostly unpaid, so that has not been good….if I’m gonna do it I really should do it soon, uggh.  Guess I’ll see how the consult goes!  Right now still recovering.  
Glad you’re doing better …keep up the good work!  

Differentclass

It’s great to hear you guys are doing so well after reversal! Hoping for mine soon……..

MoeMoe
Reply to DexieB

Thanks DexieB! I’m glad to hear you are doing well also. You go girl 👊🏽

Tezter

Congrats. Do you have a full colon? I am 3 weeks and my butt hurts so bad with every movement.

DexieB
Reply to Tezter

I think your question was for MoeMoe, but as for me, I had my sigmoid removed so I do not have a full colon.  I hope you’re doing better now!