When to take Miralax with Transverse Colostomy

Replies
Views
Stilts

Hello, I had a transverse colostomy 9 days ago.  An ostomy nurse (but no doctor) told me to take Miralax daily.  This caused my output to be watery and I had leaks every 3-4 hours even after using a system that has not leaked since I discontinued Miralax.  Which begs the question.  When would I take Miralax with a transverse colostomy? 

AlexT

When you wanna leak, duh. 😁 Actually, I know some get told to take that stuff when you first get re-routed to keep everything coming out easier as you heal. But one needs to be careful to not take too much and have issues like you are having. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,575 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB

Hello, my Ostomy nurse also told me to take Miralax daily, but I didn’t because it gave me the runs (normally had thicker output).  I figured my colorectal surgeon would tell me if I needed to- I asked and he said to only take it if I didn’t have any output for a few days.  I’ve had my reversal surgery now,  but miralax every day was not for me!  Maybe ask your doctor? 

Stilts
Reply to DexieB

Thank you so much for the reply!  Happy to hear you had reversal surgery.  How did it go?  

Shalaway

I take Laxido daily. I am guessing it’s a similar alternative

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DexieB
Reply to Stilts

It went great!  No issues, I was out of the hospital in 2 days and my bathroom habits were right back on track! Of course there was some pain as my wounds healed....but nothing like I experienced when I first got my emergency surgery and ostomy.  But I had gone into that very sick with peritonitis and sepsis, and that was an open surgery - so of course the reversal was easier.  I have absolutely no regrets.  Thank you for asking!  

patandwinnie55

I have a colostomy. When I left the hospital I was told to take Miralax everyday, so I did.....until I didn't. I used it consisently for 6 months, then I went on a short vacation and one day I forgot to use it. Nothing changed - for good or ill. I intentionally didn't take it the next day....no change. I haven't used it since -- going on three months. My output is thick, but soft.  

AlexT
Reply to patandwinnie55

Good for you. The less medication anyone can take, the better.