Post reversal gas, diarrhea, and diaper rash

Replies
Views
Tezter

I am 3 weeks post reversal. I have the entire colon reconnected as this was always temporary. Mine was result of perforation.

I am still having lava diarrhea, tons of gurgling and gas and my bottom got a rash (all the new Norma flora) and I think hemorrhoids too because it’s very painful. 
Anyone know how longs this lasts until things get back to normal. Any tips on introducing foods or creams for the bottom. I have slowly started adding veggies but need the stool too start bulking again.

Footie97

Tezter 

I had GI issues for quite a while after reversal but due to CDiff.   I started with baby butt paste in day one, use baby wipes instead of toilet paper and showered frequently.  But the burning acid poops I do not miss at all Lol!  I can laugh now nearly 3 years after reversal. It should get better. I was never limited on what I could/not eat but would add back things with high acid content very slowly

good luck Footie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,583 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newhere

I was pretty much back to normal a few weeks after reversal, Like Footie said use a barrier cream on your rear, I used sudocrem it really helps alot. Good luck things will get better.

Caz67

Hiya 

If you're having diarrhea you can try to thicken your output by Introducing carbs such as potatoes pasta rice bread. If you're still loose with adding these then it maybe worth getting your stool checked for c diff or other bugs. Xx

Dogen\'s bag

I used Penaten cream for the rash due to my newly useful anus, worked beautifully.  

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DexieB

HI, my surgeon said that my bathroom habits could be wonky for about 3 months after my reversal; however they were quickly back on track and I did not have diarrhea...however,  my behind was like WTH after not having been used for 8 months!!  The newly added fiber quickly flared up my old hemorrhoid that I got when I was pregnant, so I used Tucks and Preparation H ointment.  Sitz baths also helped, you can use the tub or buy one that fits over your toilet.  

In the past, before my colostomy I would use Desitin if I ever had diarrhea and it really helped!!  You are probably already using all these things, but ....

Hang in there - it gets better!  :)

MoeMoe

Hi! I introduced fiber back into my diet slowly and it bulked up my stool a little more each day that passed and most importantly for me, I ditched the dairy products and diarrhea stopped almost instantly (I still had loose stools but not watery). I too had tons of gurgling and gas, I used the heating pad a lot (not on the stoma site though until the staples were out). I’m 7 weeks out now and bowel movements are still a bit off from my norm but slowly coming around. Don’t try to rush yourself back into your normal routine, it deff takes time. Take it easy, gentle healing is a must, your insides have been thru a lot. 
EDIT: crackers, pretzels, naan and pita slow digestion, it may help with diarrhea just don’t eat too much at one time so you don’t strain when using the restroom