Affordable Out-of-Pocket Medical Supplies Recommendations?

Replies
Views
MildCapricorn76
May 13, 2024 11:23 pm

Any recommendations for cheaper places for buying supplies out of pocket?

Insurance only covers bags/wafers, but I need powder, Eakin seals, etc. Tried ordering from Amazon; quality was terrible.

I am in the US.

Thanks.

Happytostillbehere
May 14, 2024 12:16 am

Maybe it's just me, but there's something morally wrong with the fact that in this country people in need of quality of life medical supplies, including pharmaceuticals and not just ostomates, have to do without because of the outrageous cost associated with them. We have to do better!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
May 14, 2024 4:15 am
Reply to Happytostillbehere

Not enough politicians have ostomies over there. When they do, your dilemma will change. I agree the medical system in the US is dreadful.

AlexT
May 14, 2024 8:10 am

If it was less about money and more about healthcare, nobody would have issues getting their stuff. But, it's all about money so... 🤷‍♂️

mild_mannered_super_hero
May 14, 2024 11:45 am

Have you tried eBay? I buy all my supplies there. I normally pay about 1/3 of retail. The key to eBay is to buy before you run out.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Itsme58
May 14, 2024 12:17 pm

Good morning, sometimes people will take some of their supplies to the medical supplier. For example, I get my supplies from Binsons, and one day I needed powder when I was there because my insurance pays for an extra amount of powder. I get four bottles a year. It's really dumb, but sometimes people take their extra stuff that they don't need anymore, that they haven't opened or used, to the medical supply and they donate it to somebody who needs it. They have a basket with donated stuff in it, and they had the powder and they said, "Here, someone donated their excess powder. You can have these." So maybe if you go to your local medical supplier or something, maybe they have a bin of donated things that you might be able to use. Try checking that out too.

Have a wonderful day.

MildCapricorn76
May 14, 2024 4:54 pm
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

I haven't actually. It never occurred to me they would have supplies! Thanks for the idea.

aTraveler
May 17, 2024 8:31 am

Best Buy has good out-of-pocket prices:

https://bestbuymedicalsupplies.com/collections/ostomy-supplies