Prolapsed Stoma Advice

Replies
Views
Uniq2024
May 25, 2024 2:19 am

Hi everyone, I just joined the site and need some advice. I had surgery for my end ileostomy in April. I am having issues with a prolapsed stoma getting more frequent. I'm not able to get in to see the ostomy nurse until Tuesday morning, thanks to my always “lucky” holiday or weekend timing for issues. Any advice on how I can get through the next few days dealing with this? Thanks in advance!

warrior
May 25, 2024 3:44 am

Hi there. Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear about your current prolapse issues.

It does sound odd after such recent surgery to be having this so soon.

I can only say this because my own stoma (ileo for 8 years) has stayed the same size until recently.

It just increased from the size of a ping pong ball to a tennis ball in diameter. It extended a bit but width-wise kind of blew up like a balloon.

Yeah, 8 years later. So I'm just saying it's odd so soon for you.

Can you explain how far extended yours goes?

I have heard on another post that their stoma extended 4 to 5 inches. There was talk about putting sugar on it, which helped retract it and is the quick fix.

However, this did nothing for me for my ballooned stoma. In fact, the stoma became glazed, shiny and didn't retract. So that was that.

As you might not know, the stoma will expand and retract at times. This is normal. You said frequent prolapse. And you see this at bag change?

For me, when I replaced my appliance, it was a waiting game for the stoma to retract. Eventually, it does.

I am wondering how far extended you are dealing with yours? Or are you concerned simply because it breathes, expands, and retracts? Again, normal.

Might need urgent care perhaps.

No fear, others will chime in. Sit tight. If all else fails, call your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ron in mich
May 25, 2024 12:11 pm

Hi Uniq, welcome to the site. After I had resection surgery a few years ago and the surgeon gave me a better stoma than what I had, I had a couple of times where my stoma extended about 3 inches and my stomach was upset, kind of bloated feeling. I would lay down and it would retract back to its normal size of a little over an inch.

Uniq2024
May 25, 2024 2:36 pm
Reply to warrior

I had a temporary ileostomy for 4 months (Oct '22-Feb '23) and had no issues with a prolapse. The permanent one is in the same placement (my request, but the surgeon's decision during surgery). The first prolapse happened on 5/18 (went to the ER because I freaked out). I would estimate it was out 4-6 inches. It went back in with laying on my back. Now it starts to come out with almost everything I do (shower, empty bag, etc.). I feel like it's making me a hostage now because I can't trust it. Laying down isn't always an option unless I'm at home.

Uniq2024
May 25, 2024 2:43 pm
Reply to ron in mich

I saw the PA in my surgeon’s office on Thursday & she mentioned that I may need a revision, but that would have to wait a couple months due to the recent surgery.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play