Pain around stoma, need advice

Replies
Views
Dixie1
Hi,

This is my first post and hoping that someone might be able to help.

I have had an ileostomy for 42 years (was 10 weeks old when I had my surgery due to UC). I had my rectum and anus removed at age 7.

Thankfully, I have been relatively problem-free through the years, but recently I have been experiencing pain around the left side of my stoma. It's a rather sharp pain that feels tender to the touch and hurts when I am eliminating from my stoma. It feels like I've pulled something inside. This has never happened before.

I have ovarian cysts and am wondering if it is growing into my stoma.

Has anyone else experienced this type of pain?

I'm a little scared and need advice.

Any info is appreciated.
banshie3by5
Hi, you should definitely see your doctor if you haven't since this post. You could have an adhesion (scar tissue pulling) or a hernia.

When I was undiagnosed septic, my right ovary had encapsulated and grown to the size of an orange, affecting my guts. Because of a previous barium spill into the lower right quadrant, they could not see anything and blew it off as non-issue 'adhesion pain'. I finally bypassed my GI, went to my primary doctor, and demanded a resolution to the worsening excruciating pain. I was misdiagnosed with ovarian cancer mets to the right kidney. I went into surgery expecting to have a hysterectomy and remove the right kidney. I woke up with both my kidneys, no right ovary or fallopian tube, 3 bowel resections plus another ending in a colostomy. Due to blood loss, they had to finish the hysterectomy at the next (3rd) surgery. My primary apologized for the ball being dropped. My GI remained the same p.o.s. he was before, and I stopped seeing him.

So in answer to your question....yes, ovary pain can be a symptom of gut issues. But the pain around the stoma is definitely a must-see issue, also.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I dislike doctors to the max, but I hope you listen to Banshie and check it out. It may be nothing significant but the alternative - serious stuff undiagnosed - is unacceptable. Let us know. Carol

MarkP

As the other posts said, "See a doctor" as soon as possible. You don't want a bad outcome by waiting. Good luck and stay in touch.

Mark

Dixie1
Thank you for all your advice, I went to the Dr. and although the pain had subsided, it was determined I had pulled the muscle around the stoma with an overweight book bag for school.

As far as the cysts go, he does not recommend surgery. It is far too risky. I've had my stoma my whole life. My first surgery was at 10 weeks old.

So thankfully no surgery, but I get to keep the 4 cysts I have. I joked with him that I've pretty much had everything taken out of me, now I am just growing stuff. You got to laugh, right?

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Funny, we know what we should do deep down but have to hear it from others. Thankfully, I have a good friend that chimed in with a threat that they would drive me to the Dr. if I didn't get an appointment on my own!

This is a great place to read up on others' issues that we all share.

Have a good day.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

So glad it wasn't anything requiring surgery. Nothing is really minor with these issues. And it is good for us all to hear positive outcomes.

I tried to check out your profile and didn't find anything. I would love to know more about you. "My first surgery was at 10 weeks old." You must have an interesting story. ... "An overweight bookbag"?

What do they do for the cysts?