Dealing with Foam and Air in My Bag - Need Help!

Replies
Views
~traci~

I have had a lot of foam and air in my bag? Does anyone know why and how to eliminate this problem? (I have a filter on the pouch) Thanks

Bill
Hello traci,

I have absolutely no idea why you should have foam and air in the bag. But I'm really glad you shared it with us as it poses a fascinating question which surely should ellicit some humour from those who are good at such things.

Whenever I have 'different' things appear, my response is not to worry about it but recall the many years when it would have all disappeared without a 'trace' down the loo.   Sometimes what you don't know about you don't worry about!

Best wishes  Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Well air - Gas still gets in even with the filter. Could the foamy stuff just be bubbly water coming from the stoma? Try no more gas or hostoma liquid or Hollister 85000 deodorant. I find it useful. xx Cheers. Oh, codeine can help with the output too, but again, it can make you addicted and drowsy. But hey! P.S. I use Eakin gel. Fantastic for absorbing all that bloody awful water. Weird, we need to drink more fluids but lose so much.

ZACK

This is Zack from Michigan, USA. I have had my ileo since 1977. I have found that air and/or foam is always caused by eating something that causes gas. Check your diet; for me, any cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are sure to cause gas and maybe foam as well. Some spices do the same for me, like garlic.

Past Member

Hey huni, do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks? I find I get this problem if I do, so I tend to avoid them as much as I can.
Hope this helps.
G x

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ccurtains

This is generally due to what you are eating or drinking. Spicy foods will create a lot of gas.

Past Member
I like air in my bag!

I had an ileostomy last month. I have been using two-piece bags which were creating air. I didn't know anything else, so I just thought this is the way it is. Then, two days ago, I changed to a one-piece bag and this one creates no air and I don't like it. When there is no air, stool stays around the stoma instead of falling down to the bottom of the bag. I am freaking out because it might leak and damage my skin. I am rinsing a bag every time I empty it. I try to put air, but a few hours later it becomes flat without air.

I need advice, please. How do you deal with this situation?
Why don't you like air? Since I got surgery, I haven't been out. I am home all the time wearing pajamas, so hiding the bag is not an issue yet. I suppose when there is air in a bag, it is difficult to hide under clothes? But, I can't stand stool collecting around the stoma!
I use a clear bag so I can see everything very well and just feel dirty when stool is not falling down to the bottom.

I am using clear bags because that's what the hospital provided me. I have not bought bags on my own yet. The hospital gave me two different kinds of clear bags, two-piece and one-piece.

To answer your question from my experience, it might be the kind of bags you are using. My diet has not been changed.

I would like to meet a female in the Toronto area for ostomy friendship.

Thank you.
kinder

The one-piece bags are great and you just need a lubricant to move the waste to the bottom. There is a product called Adapt Lubricant Deodorant that works really well. Use that with Hollister M-9 and the whole thing is pretty bearable!!
Nanc

Past Member

Thank you for this advice so much! I looked into their website. This product also prevents static and sticking! That's exactly what I need! I will buy it.
It says to put 1 tablespoon every time you empty it and rub. It is okay to rub the first time when the bag is new, but rub after that.... mixing with your stool...

ilsn2u

Try to remember that the skin of your stoma used to be inside of you and was always full of poop. The only problem is if the poop is on the skin of your abdomen...that can cause itching, rashes, etc.--that's not good.

As to the air thing--that's gas, a normal human output! Take a "Gas-X" tablet and that will go away.

Past Member
I understand that the stoma can be covered by stool and it's okay. I am afraid when the stoma is covered by stool instead of dropping to the bottom of the bag, stool can go between the stoma and fringe. Especially when the stool is watery, stool can easily get there and damage my skin.
When there is no air in the bag, stool doesn't drop to the bottom. I tried lubricant but if the bag is stuck to the stoma, stool doesn't move down!

Why does the fringe get a white ring? Is acid eating away at the fringe and adhesive? Is it because the fringe is soaked due to stool being there too long?
During the day, I sit up light and I put air in the bag so that stool drops, but when I sleep, stool always stays near the stoma...

The nurse told me to change the fringe every 5-7 days. Is it because after that the fringe will be destroyed and start to leak? Or is it because the skin around the stoma needs to be cleaned??
Can the fringe stay longer, like 10-14 days?

Also, my scar is very itchy. What can I put, any cream or oil?? Will it go away? It's been about 5 weeks since the operation.

Thank you.