Advice on Ostomy Reversal Prep?

Replies
Views
Patrice
Jan 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi everyone. I have been reading your posts since I had an emergency sigmoid colostomy performed on Oct 6. This is my first time posting. My reversal is scheduled for Monday Jan 30th and my doctor has prescribed a bowel prep called Moviprep. I took half the prescribed amount prior to my first surgery as I have a very sensitive colon. However, my doctor is recommending the full 2-course prep this time and I am worried. I would appreciate any advice regarding the prep and what it's like to cleanse the bowel with an ostomy. Thanks so much!

TotallySurprised
Jan 25, 2012 2:34 pm

I know it may seem excessive, however, really cleansing is a huge deal in abdominal surgery as I am sure you are aware.

I had my reversal nearly 2 weeks ago, so far so good! I just sat in a chair with a bucket and my pouch drained directly into the bucket. The prep cleaned me out in a couple of hours and then I showered and went to bed.

Good luck and best wishes for a very speedy recovery!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Patrice
Jan 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks totally. I was totally surprised too as I had never had any GI issues in my 61 years. This hit me hard (diverticular abscess that didn't respond to draining and antibiotics). No history. Anyway, I am excited and hope my outcome is as good as yours. On the day before the surgery, did you have to go on a clear liquid diet? My doctor didn't say anything about that and I don't know if I should eat or not.

TotallySurprised
Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Yes, I did have to be on liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. I do water, chicken bouillon, yellow jello, juices,

I too had tribulations. My first attempt at reversal failed and I had an ileostomy for 5 months, but hopefully we are on the final leg!

Past Member
Jan 31, 2012 8:12 am

I don't remember what I was required to swallow to cleanse before the colostomy takedown in Dec.
I did call ConvaTec for ideas to catch all the gunk and they sent me - free - two irrigation bags to fit my flange.
The things have no odor resistance, but I only had to get up 3-4 times to empty out, then I pitched it and snapped my regular bag back on.

I lay in bed with the thing along my thigh, wrapped in a towel to muffle the smell, with the covers over me the towel-clad bag. That towel also helped to carry me the thing to the bathroom to empty out with a more secure feeling.

Only needed one irrigation bag even though they sent two.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Pinky
Jan 31, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm glad I didn't see this until today. Moviprep was the worst lavage I ever experienced and I won't allow my doc to try it again. The best prep I ever had was Half-Lytely but since the doc doesn't prescribe this one anymore, I can only imagine it doesn't do its job all that well.

coral
Jan 31, 2012 8:35 pm
Hello Patrice,

I did the colostomy after a Hartmann's procedure trip last year, for scarring causing a semi-obstructed sigmoid colon. It is about 8 months since my laparoscopic reversal surgery.
The movi-prep was fine, a couple of glasses of ganky tasting liquid, and then a pause waiting for the diarrhea to begin! I took myself into the loo with a flanged resealable bag instead of the usual one-piece disposable system that suited me. It was a bit erm... distasteful, but no worse than many of us have to live with on a normal day!
I just got on with it, and one has to, because making the bowel as clean as possible helps protect us from infection during the surgery, and must make the job a little less onerous for the surgeon and his team too.
Every best wish for your op. By the way, almost a year on, I feel very well now, but am left with a hernia which I think I'll live with.
Drink plenty of bio-active yogurt as you recover. It'll help the gut germs get back to normal which is important when they've been bombarded with antibiotics.