Pants Dilemma: Need advice for wearing dress pants with a stoma!

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I recently had surgery (2 months ago) to remove my colon after a 30-month Crohn's flare. I am looking for advice on wearing my dress pants and casual attire. My stoma is located about an inch below my belly button. I can wear my pants just below the stoma, but they restrict the flow into my pouch. My current wardrobe of pants does not work wearing above the stoma. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am back to work and struggling with wearing pants. Thanks.

Ed78

I don't know about dress pants and casual attire, but I wear dress pants and suits all the time and have no flow issues. Wear those pants an inch larger than usual and wear some nice suspenders. Again, it looks totally normal for work.

You might want to do the same and have a sportcoat and an open collar shirt.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Thanks so much for the information. The suspenders are a great idea with the waist size 1 inch larger.

Past Member

I had mine two months ago.... Braces all the way.... Only real men wear braces!!!!
I wear a waistband as well to keep the bag in place and stop it showing through my clothes.
I'll be going back to work in a few weeks.

Beaner

Aw geeze, I had the answer for a woman but not for a man! I hope you are an easygoing guy....I remember being in Holland in the nineties and the men wore their pants up high...I guess I could answer just about any question but that one...keep us posted....I am a woman, and found that the waistband helped with pants. As far as casual, sweats are much easier to get used to...jean

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vikinga

I am a woman also and have my stoma in the front, below where my belly button was (they stole it!!). Would love to hear how others are dealing with pants and that issue. Miss my jeans!

old guy

I wear pants one size bigger with suspenders. Don't button the pants, just zip up.
Wear shirt outside pants. Works good for me. Good luck.

Lester

Go to ostomybridge.com, I have tried this product, it works. I use one every day since I wear a uniform to work. It says on the website how to order one.

vikinga

Uh...no offense "old guy" but I am a female and need to look more dressed up at times...both for work and outings.

vikinga

Thanks, Lester... I have shot them an email. Just so you know, the website you sent me to does not say how to order one.

gutenberg
OK, so I'm a guy and went the suspenders/braces route and felt uncomfortable all the time and finally last week I dropped in to a men's store that I have avoided since being on a fixed income and this place always expensive but always had quality items and I didn't need them to buy jeans, but I digress, so in I go and head for the belt racks and to my surprise they had these belts with a wave pattern like a military belt, only these belts were made of some kind of elastic and as my stoma is right on my belt line this is exactly what I've been looking for for years, and the really good thing about them is you can adjust them to exactly what you need to not block my pouch and still hold up your pants. Now the only drawback for me was the $35 bucks which I would expect a new pair of jeans thrown in on the deal. But after a couple of weeks I found they really were worth the price, and that's my two cents/$35 worth for today. Hope everyone has a good day, Ed
vikinga
Hmmm, is there a way for you to show us a picture of this?
gutenberg
Tell you what, I'll work on that and get back to you, 'k, Ed
vikinga

Thanks

gutenberg
Here you go, now I gotta get it back on before I trip on something. Ed

Primeboy

Ed, Dockers makes a great braided web belt which you can get for about $17 at reasonable stores like Kohls. It stretches easily and you can adjust it to the best fit. It comes in 3 colors: beige, navy, and black. They are the only belts I now use.

By the way, Ed, why did the leprechaun wear a belt with his suspenders?

To be sure, to be sure. Sorry. PB

gutenberg
Sure PB, Sure.
vikinga

Thanks... but I don't get how that protects the stoma?... Please enlighten me.

Primeboy

Just a matter of less pressure against the stoma and more confidence that your pants aren't at your heels. Try them, you'll like them. They're loose but they do their job.

Beaner

Vikinga, it took a lot of shopping to find pants that worked. I think the companies that focus on "mature" women make the pants higher on the waist from time to time. I had good luck with the classic fit from Christopher Banks, and they have casual and work clothes. You can find them online if they are not in your area. Jean

YVRMike

Have you considered a stoma guard belt from Stomaplex.com? I just received one and it is wonderful, especially when wearing jeans and just a T-shirt. It supports and conceals. I wear it all day and hardly know I have it on!

Good luck,

YVRMike
vikinga

I actually tried a stoma guard from Stomaplex made just for me, but I found it very bulky and it wouldn't stay in place as I wear a one-piece. In fact, at times it sat right on my stoma!
The idea was good but not for me.
Thanks

Penguins7

Thanks for your response. I was on Stomaguard website doing some research and it seems like a great product. I spoke to the inventor and he said the product works best with a 2-piece. I am going to try one as I can't wear any of my clothes currently. My stoma is located right on my belt line.