Recovery Time

In this discussion
Replies
Views
woodles84

I just learned that my rectal cancer cannot be treated with radiation or chemotherapy, so it needs to be cut out. It's so close to my sphincter that it must be removed too. My surgery is not even scheduled yet, but I'm trying to collect information.
What is the average hospital stay for a colostomy, and how long is the recovery period? Basically, how long until I'll be able to return to work? Any other general information will also be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cee

I also had rectal cancer, although I had radiation, chemo, and surgery. Many, many surgeries, including the colostomy surgery. My average length of stay was about nine days. With the gut, you have to be able to eat, drink, walk, urinate, and move your bowels before they will release you. It can take some time for those things to happen. I was told to take it easy post-op for about six weeks. I would start by asking your employer for six weeks off and take it from there.

Good luck!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tim1948

I had my anus, rectum, and part of my colon removed on Nov 13, 2009. I was back to work in early Feb 2010. I was in the hospital for 10 days. No problems since. Just amazing what these surgeons can do to save one's life these days.

tinamarie83
Hello,

The recovery time is different for each person. I was in the hospital for about 7 days after surgery, but I was not able to go back to work right away. I was off work for a total of 9 months due to radiation, chemo, and surgery. I do think that most of the reason I could not work was due to the wound vac I wore after surgery and the chemo treatments I received after surgery. The wound vac was something new back then, but now I am sure it is prescribed more. It did wonders in closing up my wound, where my rectum used to be. I know how important it is to make a living, but remember this is something major and the surgery is major, and you need to let yourself heal fully before rushing back to work or you risk complications that could make you be off work even longer.
P.S. I forgot to mention, the reason for all this was in Feb. 2005, I found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. Thank God, I am a 7-year survivor. Take care of yourself, Tina.