Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,6K + members

Clothing

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm
Is it possible that tight clothing (stretch jeans) would be harmful for an iliostomy?
Fri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm
No its all about your comfit and whether your stoma will tolerate it don't worry it will let you know its not happy so go for it!
Fri May 03, 2013 3:29 pm
I agree - I have a colostomy and wear skinny jeans all the time! No problems! PS I wear GAP - style 1969. The "Sexy Boyfriend" is also very comfortable. Happy shopping!
Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am
My very first post and it was answered ASAP!! Thanks one and all.
Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 am
It is a problem for me since I am a large man. Wearing denim jeans or shorts is tighter by its nature as a fabric, and the problem comes when the ilestomy pouch starts filling up. I have to evacuate the pouch about 10 times a day it seems, which is still a considerable drag after more than twenty years of this burden. And then other times it fills with gas which creates a similar problem when you have jeans. Wearing elastic stretch pants helps, or possibly getting jeans or dress pants possibly a half size or size larger than usual. I've had several accidents in public but managed to make it out of these situations without getting arrested, LOL. Life is hard.
Sun May 12, 2013 5:42 pm
If normal jeans cause a problem, I have found success with maternity jeans as the band stretches (gives) and allows everything to flow.  You just have to wear longer tops to cover the stretchy part or wear it as if it is a T-shirt tucked in.  Very comfortable.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.