Spanx Solution for Colostomy Bag Comfort

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Grammybec
Since my surgery, I have not been able to wear Spanx due to the tightness around the bag area. I got the idea to order the Power Mama Maternity Spanx with the soft sheer tummy panel that grows with you as your tummy grows...knowing that this would expand with my bag as it fills. I am excited to report it works perfectly. The Spanx works in the areas I need support, but gives me the comfort in the area of the bag without interfering.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Good for you!! My body looks so bad. I would never try spandex. I love to hear that anyone can!! It's a great step in getting life back to as normal as possible!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Grammybec

I am always looking for ways to make my life as normal as possible. I had thought wearing Spanx was out of the question, until I thought of the maternity ones with a forgiving tummy panel...

Past Member

God bless you! I will continue to be Santa for the little ones. I got way too big now that I can eat like a normal human. They said I never would because my small intestine is mostly gone. I pray for you.

Past Member

I cry as I write this, I want to be normal so bad.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Grammybec

I know exactly what you mean... I am more overweight than I would like to be, but I find eating and drinking is hard to break! LOL Why do you think I needed the Spanx... LOL Don't chastise yourself... just be thankful that the surgery was a success and you can now eat normally. It saved my life, so I look at life differently now... overweight and all!

Sophia

I've been using Spanx for years. I buy a larger size so I have more room and they're not too tight. I also have worn bicycle shorts and leggings under dresses... Good luck ladies (and guys too)! I have recently rejoined Meet an Ostomate and am looking for friendship and to chat... Is there a superhero around? Maggie

Past Member

Bless you for the response, I just get so discouraged sometimes. I have jumped out of airplanes with 20 or 30 people shooting at me but was never afraid, but I fear this and doctors. I was always strong, so much has changed. I'm scared of everything now that I have seen how fast life can change.

Ewesful

If anything, it makes you realize just how important some things are. It has given me a chance to be who you want to be, not what the disease (in my case FAP and far more extensive surgery) wants you to be!! -- Wearing the bag with all of its trials and tribulations is so simple compared to so many things others go through daily -- I am so thankful despite the fact that it would have been nice not to have these issues. I say thank you every day as I would not have lived a year with all the tumors, etc. .....Can you think of it as a challenge you can overcome? Like parachuting or whatever -- I can't do that now, but what a love of freedom!! I will pray for you too -------EWESFUL

lolli

Have a look at the Comfizz website, they have a great range of really comfortable support wear specifically designed for people living with a stoma. There's levels 1, 2, and 3 for light, mid, or firm support depending on your needs. The best part is they look great too.

Past Member

Have to second what Lolli says. Comfizz coloured boxers are so cool you'd be happy to wear them even if you didn't have a bag, and you can get them on prescription if you live in the UK. It's a family business started after a family member had a stoma and couldn't find the right things to wear. So, even though they might not suit everyone, they are actually designed by people who know what it's like...

Yancey

Thanks for the tip, Grammybec! I've been thinking about getting me some pregnancy jeans so I can look cool again in jeans! My daughter calls my pull-up jeans Granny jeans, and that won't do!!!! LOL!!