Failing Kidney Function from Dehydration: Seeking Personal Experiences & Symptoms

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses personal experiences and symptoms related to failing kidney function caused by dehydration.
spinbot

I've recently had a 3-night stay at our local hospital as I got dehydrated. This isn't the first time it has occurred and I am pretty sure the last 2 times were both caused by the flu. I have an ileostomy, so after only one evening of heavy fluid loss, I end up putting myself into "acute renal failure" due to the major loss of hydration.

My family doctor was concerned as weeks after this occurred, my creatinine levels never returned to within what a blood lab would call normal. My creatinine sits at "147". I saw a nephrologist (kidney doctor) and she said that each event I have will further raise my baseline level (the higher it is, the worse it is).

I figure I can't be the only one with these issues, so I came to this group seeking personal experiences from those who might be in the same boat. What I am particularly looking for is what symptoms one might expect from reduced kidney function and at what levels does one need to be at to start experiencing them. I've got health issues, regardless of this, as I have Crohn's Disease and chronic back pain from Osteoporosis and the ileostomy. I'm just wondering what other wonderful crap I am in store for as this value worsens over time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dazer

Hi

All I know is my bowel hospital recommends a mixture of salt, glucose, and baking soda, mixed in a liter of water. It can be flavored by fruit juice, squash, etc., as it doesn't taste so fab! Or you could try Dioralyte. As with a lack of colon, even just fluids don't rehydrate you properly as you lose more than just fluids. Good luck. Electrolytes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ChrisP

Wow Spinbot, thank you for posting this - a bit of a wake-up call, as I am prone to dehydration, and probably don't take it as seriously as I should. Hope you are OK. All the best.

aHappyGirl

Here's my add ...

I am a TPN patient so you can imagine my dehydration issues.

You can try Ceralyte fluid electrolyte drink mix (ceraproductsinc.com). It works well. They will send you samples. I can too, if needed.

I also use salt tablets.

Hydration has to be a way of life, you cannot gulp a big bottle of water and be fixed. You have to take in hydration throughout the day.

Good luck

Charleston man

Hi folks,

When I was out of the hospital and home with home care nurses, my nurse had told me about the dehydration factor with having an ileostomy. She told me that every time I empty it, I should drink fluids. As she put it, when you let it out, put it back in. I myself have a hard time trying to drink enough fluids. So far, knock on wood, I haven't been dehydrated. I do now try to keep myself hydrated. I have a Gatorade with my lunch and the rest of the day I do try to keep drinking water. In the summer months, I do need to drink more fluids, being I work in construction and sweat a good bit. In the winter months, I know I should keep the mindset with fluids, but it's hard. It's just hard to walk around slushing. Not to mention having to pee all the time. But then I guess if you keep enough fluids in you, you are going to do that. As the saying goes, chew, chew, chew, and drink plenty of fluids.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dazer

What goes in must come out! So my toilet and I are way too friendly!