Colonoscopy Through Stoma: Experiences and Prep Tips?

Replies
Views
Katy3943

I am having a colonoscopy on Friday to prepare for reversal surgery!! Yea!!! I am wondering who has gone through a colonoscopy through the stoma and is it uncomfortable after? They are going to scope both ends..ugh...I had to have my stoma revised 2 weeks ago because it closed up (right before reversal). I am thankful to still be alive after a ruptured appendix which abscessed throughout my entire abdomen with sepsis. 7 months on the bag and I am ready for reversal after test results come back. I am not looking forward to colonoscopy prep and wondered what it's like with the bag? Am I literally going to be emptying it every 15 minutes the 24 hours before???

Past Member

I am interested because I have to have to have one also.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,527 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB

I have had 2 already and going for one next week. It is no problem, so do not worry. And you can see what is going on if you are up to it.

AlistairC

I also have had one. No problems whatsoever.. and the prep was easier :)

letsrock

Do they remove the skin barrier? Do you replace it? Or just the bag... I have one on Thursday.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
WAB

Just the bag... do not worry... easier for people who have a stoma... you will not feel a thing...

letsrock

Thank you... want to get this over!

ycats

Katyi, I am also doing a reversal in January. My thoughts are with you as well as your experiences....

Stacy

Katy3943

Stacy

I am 3 weeks post-op after reversal surgery. When is yours scheduled? Would love to fill you in if you're interested!! I am looking forward to the New Year and feeling much better than I ever thought!!!

Terapined

What is the procedure with a colonoscopy.

Do they remove the bag?

After the procedure, do I need to prepare a skin barrier with a new bag?

The liquid I drink the day before, any leakage problem?

Does anybody wear an ace waist wrap bandage to keep the bag in place so the colonoscopy doctor has easy access?