Keeping Bag Dry in the Shower?

Replies
Views
Firefly

How to keep a bag dry while showering?

CascadianAaron

I shower with my bag on, it gets wet, and it's never an issue. I dry it with a towel just like the rest of me when I get out.

Are you having issues with it coming off in the shower?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Arkangeluz

I do shower with my bag also, and I haven't had any problem. Towel blow dryer to dry it out. Reason why I do love 'Coloplast' among others.

klark

I've been using a shower guard that fits like an apron sort of.

They last about a year and a half to two years until the belt gets

brittle and breaks. 30 something bucks. See the link below...

https://www.cmostomysupply.com/shower-gard/

Take care... Kevin

xnine

Not waterproof but keeps water from directly contacting the flange. I often get 10 days before I need to change my flange. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2 v=HPQBOuHO9ds

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HungryHamster

Hello,

While I've got a J pouch as of four weeks ago, I used to just shower with the bag on and uncovered. I used the Coloplast Sensura Mio bags and I would just cover the filter with one of the stickers that come with the bags. As said by someone else, I just dried the bag with a towel, even though those types of bags had a cloth-like surface.

Good luck with everything,

Hamish

Ozzwood

I shower with my bag off. Just my flange. I still get the same amount of wear time that I did when I was showering with my bag. Obviously, my pouch is the first thing I put on when I get out, but I love that nothing is wet when I'm getting ready in the morning. :)

Charley

I fold a small trash bag over a very long support belt and tie it around my waist. The entire bundle stays pretty dry. Also, a lot cheaper than the shower apron.

Firefly

Many thanks to all. Love this ostomy site. So many willing helpers.

Silveradokid

Best way to keep the bag dry is to stop showering, but that creates other issues...

Ngaire

Hi there. Why do you have to keep it dry? These appliances are made to survive showering, swimming, and whatever! Dry all around it and the pouch itself with your towel or a hair dryer after showering. Better still, if you can take it off when showering, the water is amazing for your skin. Cheers, Ngaire.

Beshlie

I use one of those nurses' plastic aprons, folded over and trimmed to fit, and just tie it around my waist above my bag. Works great at keeping my bag dry.

freedancer

I change my skin barrier and pouch twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays. I shower with it off and have never had any issues. There have been a few times that there were some leaks when I was first learning about everything but for the most part it has been okay.

charleston_sunny

I shower with the bag off and that allows me to really clean the barrier well. Nothing better than feeling clean! :)

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Firefly....I shower everyday with mine on, once per week off for a great shower, good clean, and some air....the only thing I do is cover the filter with a sticker or tape....get out, dry off, if not dry enough, blast with a hair dryer and you're done...