Rash from Plastic Bag Contact?

Replies
Views
Booters

Hi everyone, this is Booters. I was wondering if anybody has had any rash problems from where the plastic on the bag touches the skin.

Bill

Hello Booters.  I have just been looking at your post on this very subject from Wed Dec 27, 2017 and thought that weewee's suggestion of Corona ointment  sounded like a great idea. I have not seen it for sale here in the UK but as it seems to be for horses, I might be looking in the wrong place!

I get rashes from anything plasticky touching my skin for any length of time, so I try to avoid it as far as possible by putting fabric between the plastic and the skin. Nowadays, most bags come with a fabric cover and, although I don't use them much anymore because I irrigate, they were pretty good at preventing the rashes occurring. Some of the barrier sprays can also help but it's really about experimenting to see what suits you best.

Eventually I gave up with preparatory stuff and made my own backplates out of material that did not cause me rashes, which I then stuck the proprietary bags/sleeves and stuff to. This has served me well for quite a few years and, because they are my own design, to fit my own body and circumstances, I don't have the same problem with leaks and accidents that I used to have before. However, I should add a warning to anyone who wants to make their own. I tried many versions of what I thought I needed before geting to a device that worked properly for me. These things need fine-tuning and I am still in the process of making them better and better each time the next version is produced.   

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

October Born

Good morning Booters,

I too have the same issue. I found using elastic barrier strips are very helpful. I only use them on the top of my bag as I don't have too much of a problem underneath the bag. I put a strip on and the bag doesn't touch the skin, works great. Hope this helps.

Darlene

Booters

Thanks, Darlene. Bill

funnygurl

I often have this problem when it is hot. I make a piece of cloth shaped like a baby bib that goes between my pouch and my skin. I usually use a cotton flannel. I also found a powder antibiotic called Mycostatin that works quickly to clear up the rash.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
streetrod

Hi, I sometimes have a rash but mostly in the summer. I find that works really good for me is clotrimazole cream. It is over the counter and, like I said, works within minutes. I like it and use nothing else. If this helps, let me know.