Heating Methods for Ostomy Bag Adherence: Opinions?

Replies
Views
Desertmum

I was taught to apply heat via a heating bag or dryer to help the wafer adhere. I would love to know how many of you use heat/don't use heat.

Penguins7

Hello Desertmum, I use a hairdryer to dry the skin around my stoma prior to applying a wafer. I also use the hairdryer to heat the wafer slightly before applying. My skin is flawless and I think drying the skin prior to applying the wafer is key. Stay well! Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,381 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sosweet

Hi Desertmum

I have never used a hair dryer or heating pad to dry my skin or help the wafer adhere. I've had my stoma for 29 years and just air dry my skin prior to applying my wafer. Don't be afraid to experiment with different methods and you will find what works best for you!

Darlene

mdq58

I've found it works well to hold water next to the skin to warm it. A blow dryer will make your skin absolutely dry, which is important. Read instructions. Some products instruct exposing eager to sit for a few minutes before placing on the skin. Hold the water tightly/firmly in place for a few minutes to get a good seal. Mike Q, intimate of 42 years.

xnine

Have not used heat. I lay back in bed and ensure skin is dry, then fit the ring and use the empty ring from the role of tape as a steam roller to press the ring in place (use ring protector packaging under the roller so the roller does not pull the ring off the skin) and I get a tight fit. I often get 10 days before I change my kit.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Sasquatch

I've never used heat. I lay on my bed when I do my change and tuck the wafer under my butt to warm it. I also have a short piece of PVC pipe whose diameter is just a little smaller than the flange on my wafer. I use it to help seat the inside part of the wafer to my skin.

Xerxes

Desert,

Yes, I have used the dryer for years and it works well. I set it to high and make sure the wafer is nice and warm. Also, make sure the skin around the stoma is perfectly dry as others have said.

X_

DanEffler

Actually, I use neither, but I do heat. What I do is right before I apply the wafer (because I always do it after a shower), I hold it in front of the space heater for 15-20 seconds. I don't want it to be hot, just warm to the touch. I also use an ostomy belt, so after placing it on, I put on my belt and secure it in place.