Reversal surgery aftermath: Seeking advice on frequent movements and painful gas

Replies
Views
Reversed after 2 fix surg

2+ weeks out of reversal surgery, I have frequent movements (20+ daily), painful gas, and no control over movements. I am looking for similar experiences from others to temper my expectations. Right now, I am unhappy and have a hard time thinking it will ever be better. Movements are not runny, oatmeal consistency. Soft diet for the first 2 weeks, now slowly introducing more foods.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Past Member

I am due for my reversal on 18th September. I am currently very indecisive as to whether I want it done after reading several horror stories about it on forums. Today, I called a Macmillan nurse and explained my fears, and she told me that it can take between 6 to 8 weeks to see any improvement. :/

I hope you get some relief from it all very soon. I am absolutely dreading it and may even still get cold feet yet. Do let us know how you are getting on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sickofthis

I had my reversal on the 16th of August. Things are starting to settle down. I have been taking probiotics (Inner Health Plus, dairy-free) and drinking peppermint tea. I find that they are helping to reduce bowel movements. I had a good morning today where I didn't have to go to the toilet, but I have been a bit this afternoon. I was going 30 times a day at first. Not being able to leave the house is a pain. I did take some medication to stop the bowel movements, and they worked for a while, but then stopped working. I still have a bit to go, but life will get better for me.

Kgraves

Hello son, I just joined. My baby girl is 4 and just got her ostomy take down, and it has been nothing but hell. I don't know what to do for her. I just saw you wrote peppermint tea and probiotics have helped. My baby is on the potty literally every 10-15 minutes. My question, as far as the probiotics are concerned, is that just yogurts or is there a pill supplement? If you don't mind me asking, about how long did it take before things started to slow down? I would really appreciate any advice or experiences that you have gone through since your take down. I hope to hear from you soon. Feel free to contact me through here or email. Also, congratulations on your take down and the success.

Kgraves

Hello, I just joined. My baby girl is 4 and just got her ostomy take down, and it has been nothing but hell. I don't know what to do for her. I just saw you wrote peppermint tea and probiotics have helped. My baby is on the potty literally every 10-15 minutes. My question, as far as the probiotics are concerned, is that just yogurts or is there a pill supplement? If you don't mind me asking, about how long did it take before things started to slow down? I would really appreciate any advice or experiences that you have gone through since your take down. I hope to hear from you soon. Feel free to contact me through here or email. Also, congratulations on your take down and the success.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Sickofthis
Hi kgraves, I know how your little girl feels. I still have a bit to go as my operation was only 3 weeks ago. The probiotics I take are in a tablet. You should ask a pharmacist what is best for your daughter. Things have slowed down, not to the point where I can leave the house, but I can get some jobs done during the day. I still have periods where I'm constantly on the toilet for a couple of hours. As your daughter is only 4, you should talk to someone who can help with what she should take and eat, that can better advise you. We are all different and what works for me may not work for someone else.