Snack ideas for ileostomy and limited diet?

Replies
Views
looking forward

I seem to always be hungry and since I cannot eat raw fruits and veggies... Does anyone know what to snack on? I have an ileostomy, so whatever goes in comes out pretty quickly. Thanks.

Morning glory

I usually eat cereal or cereal bars or peanut butter crackers. This seems to satisfy me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

Eggs, meat also!

Nicholoffs

I have an ileostomy, I can eat anything, raw fruit, veggies anything.... Is there a reason why you can't eat fruit or veggies?

Nicholoffs

I have an ileostomy, I can eat anything, raw fruit, veggies anything.... Is there a reason why you can't eat fruit or veggies?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Prizzy

Rice cakes with peanut butter.

vikinga

I also have an ileostomy. When you first come out of surgery, the list of what could be a problem as far as food goes is overwhelming. I remember thinking, so what can I eat? Well, thanks to conversations with a more experienced longtime ileostomate, I gained the courage to begin to eat more things. Now I eat pretty much anything that can be chewed up well. Things that are stringy are a no-no in my book. I like nuts, but to be safe, I put them through a grinder first and then sprinkle them on my other food or mix them into a recipe. I eat tons of raw salads.

Try a little of what you would like to eat, see how it goes. Chew everything up well. You will be fine. Enjoy your food:)

Past Member

I graze, so when I get hungry, I cut a small piece of bacon or a small piece of cooked turkey breast or a bowl of Captain Crunch. After a while, your stomach will relax if you slow down your intake of food. I don't wear a pouch. I go evening and early morning regularly ever since I slowed down the intake. Hope you try to get past the hunger feeling. Survival 101: hunger and thirst are the same signal to the brain. Drink water to block out hunger. Kemo from Baltimore.

NewlifeVictoria

How can you go without wearing anything? Never could I do that.. Victoria

Past Member

First thing I said to myself when I woke up from being cut in half was I wanted to walk around like a normal person, which was a dream to me that was not going to happen. However, when I saw my asshole on my stomach and crap coming out of me, two rounds of chemo, one round of radiation, food and alcohol overload, I said to myself, how do you figure out how much food you really need to eat? In second and third world countries, people wake up, wash, walk to town, work all day long, come home, eat one small meal a day, and start over the next day. We hear in the USA, eat three times a day plus snacks and sodas, milk. Hello, I don't have a colon, my guts carry my food. When I eat, my guts move. If you want to slow the output, you have to make a void that you can control. Most people have a morning and evening timing built in naturally. However, when you cut off the poop storage bin signals to the brain and old blood vessels and nerves are mixed up. I eat a granola bar for breakfast and a small meal around midday, evening Captain Crunch for later evening, one glass of V8, plenty of coffee, and ice cream, vanilla.

Morning glory

NBJ, interesting. You must have a colostomy instead of an ileostomy. Am I right in assuming this?

zanzi1

Eggs, potatoes, peanut butter, pasta, beans. Things will change as time goes on. Don't forget to drink lots of fluids since you won't be absorbing much salt, vitamins, and minerals.

NewlifeVictoria

Thank you. I'm doing that all, but beans. I'm afraid to eat stuff. I always have gas and cramps and stress. Maybe the problem too? I noticed that everything hurts too. How about you? But I don't exercise enough. It's been a lot, but I gotta be okay. And I'm going to pray for some relief. I'm up late again, need to sleep. And my stomach hurts. I don't know. It really sucks. It will get better. - Victoria

zanzi1

You don't say how long you've had your ostomy, but if you're having cramps, pain, etc., I would certainly speak to your doctor about this. One of the things I was so grateful for was after I had my ileostomy over 40 years ago, I didn't have any pain except when I had an intestinal blockage, which can be very serious. Don't ignore any symptoms. Hope you feel better.

NewlifeVictoria

Thank you. How about scar tissue and cramps? I'm on Bentyl and I'm on nauseous meds and pain meds. I had 3 surgeries in a year: Jan and I don't move around enough, so I'm weak. I'm going to start therapy again, physical, and I'm thinking gas really can hurt and scar tissue. Anyone know about that? I have a lot and I have a lot of output, so thank God I pray a lot and want to feel good. I always was in cramps, pain, or something uncomfortable since 2013. 4 surgeries: first one Oct 22, 2013, then June 15th and June 30th. Went sepsis, was so sick, then got ileostomy. Sorry, first surgery was colostomy... then butt and colon and large and small of my small in Jan 2018 and new stoma and moved ileostomy. Went sepsis, was so sick, almost died 2 times, and had to go through a lot. And now I'm here blabbing away. Sorry, thank you. Hope you're well. Victoria

Past Member

Hello sweetheart, I'm ileostomy and I love the color red on women. I only have one meal midday, grazing on granola. Your system slows down if your input slows, and your timing slows. I go once or twice a day, very little. I stay moving around here all day long. I keep a handful of toilet paper over my stoma to catch. Hot water cleanse the best. The bags gave me a red ring problem from the glues to your skin. The more you eat, the more you go. Kemo looking back at you from Baltimore, Maryland.

Donz14

Try eating bananas. They fill you up and are easy on the stomach. I also can't eat much raw fruit as it goes straight through and apple skin and orange pith are really hard to chew up so can cause a blockage. But bananas are fine, I eat one every day and no problems at all. Good luck and remember chew everything really well and drink lots of water :)

Past Member

Hi from Baltimore. Bananas are the antidote to the chemo therapies. Green bananas that have just slightly turned yellow have the most healthy benefit. When they turn yellow, they lose their enzymes and they turn too sweet and sticky, not good. Monkeys and gorillas eat the green bananas with just a little yellow up by the stems. Try one. The younger chimps eat the yellow because of the sugar. Sugar makes your stools loose and sticky. Once you've tasted a solid, meaty green banana that is just starting to get sweet, you won't eat any yellow bananas again. I eat a lot of granola, V8 juice, cheese, and no red meat. Steaks are not good. Hope things are good for you in your part of the world. Chemo from Baltimore.

Silveradokid

My go-to snack is peeled and sliced apple wedges dipped in strawberry or blueberry yogurt. Yum...

Magnum

After 4 years and 4 major operations and having an ileostomy for 2 years, I have found the foods that I digest and those I don't. I am obviously a meat eater and not a grass grazer. I find raw fruits and cooked vegetables don't digest, plus all the usual nuts, mushrooms, sweetcorn, etc. I get around the fruit by drinking fruit smoothies and cooking vegetables well, softening them and mashing them or putting them in a blender to make a nice gravy. But, like everyone says, the answer to eating most things is chew, chew, chew. After a while, it becomes normal to chew everything to pulp. I was told by my stoma team to enjoy most things in moderation and chew, chew, chew.

Darturbo

It will be two years in July since my colon was removed. I can feel very hungry at times, I eat more protein but I also eat anything and everything. Sometimes I think the hunger is the need for more fluids. I take Imodium every day but I have not really had any issues regarding things I cannot eat. I think people are scared into believing their diet will be so very restricted they will not enjoy things they ate all their lives, unless you try things you will never know.

Past Member

We can eat anything. It's a matter of how long you want to clean out your bags. I don't want to be cleaning out sticky louse crap. Your crap is what you eat. Horses crap picks up easily. Our crap sticks to anything bag-like. Have fun. Kemo Jerz from Baltimore.

NewlifeVictoria

Lolbyes, we have to eat and have to clean our bags out, and we have to live with something. We are alive, thank God, Victoria.

Past Member

I eat light so I don't have to clean out a bag, and I'm alive and I love women in red.

Hermit

Ileostomy to colostomy! Eat everything! Prolapsed stoma! About to see my surgeon!

253Stephanie

Sound like me. I ate an apple and got a blockage that hospitalized me for a week. And then pineapple did the same but for three days. And I process food suuuppper fast, like 20 minutes fast. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread. I put peanut butter on thick.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, did you see your surgeon about the prolapsed stoma? I have one as well, and they said just make the flange big and watch it. If it changes colors and the output is good! I'm sad I did too much to do it!

Hermit

A year ago, the surgeon just said to watch it and make sure the color is good! I am going back on dating sites and think I will have it reduced! I don't want to freak the girls out!