Flying

Replies
Views
OKJA

Back to this again. So when you go through the bag search section at the airport, if you stand in the scanner with your arms up or being pat down, do you just explain it's your stoma?. 

Also anyone with a PICC line. Same thing. Do you get in first and mention these things? Or do you carry a medical card to produce 

Thanks

eefyjig

I do not have a card but have flown a good number of times since my ostomy. I typically walk through the scanner and automatically stop for the outside of the shirt pat and hand scan. The last time I flew I mentioned my ostomy. She said, "I know" and we went through the same process. We go through the scanning process regardless of what we say but my last scanner seemed so unfazed and it made me think that maybe there are more flying ostomates than I thought! 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

when they tell me to walk in the scanner I usually touch my Ostomy and tell them I have and Ostomy.But like eefyjig says they seem unfazed like their are notes in the system.

But then my profile is slightly different, quite handsome, well mannered, Rugged, Smells like a field of orchids after a fresh rain, Jovial, Debonair, Well appointed, Stately, humorous, well spoken to say the least 

AlexT

I just said I have an ostomy. They have you rub your hand over the area and do an explosive residue test, takes just a few seconds 

CrappyColon

If it makes you feel better… they have spent more time going through my hair when I’ve had a ‘big’ hair day 😁

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

I’ve heard of a bad hair day but not a big one! 

eefyjig
Reply to Cplumber

👏🏼 

Happy-but-Newbie

Personally, I found it gave me peace of mind to have a multi language stoma passport, just in case...especially if you travel to a place where the language spoken is one you're not very good with ;-)

This is the best one I found around (nicely written), you can download it in a number of languages

https://farmoderm.it/en/ostomy-travel-card/

Here also there are many languages:

https://australianstoma.com.au/resources/travelling-overseas/

This is from US and agreed with TSA, so for most of you it should be helpful: https://www.ostomy.org/ostomy-travel-and-tsa-communication-card/

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

Lori, never a bad hair just different types of hairstyle days… I go with whatever my hair wants to do 😆  If I get anywhere near enough to the ocean and it catches that salt spray in the air… POOF 😊

ahynes111
Reply to Cplumber

Funny man!

rlevineia

Took my first 4 flights last June, 4 yrs post op.  I mentioned my ileostomy once & got no reaction.  It's not metal, no issues.  I downloaded 2 cards from UOAA & printed my info on it.  No one wanted to see it.  DFW, SAN, CID.

Rocky09

When I flew it was the usual scan and asked to step aside for the pat down. I then whispered that I have an ostomy. She said oh and moved me along.

drums_weights_ileostomy

I always get stopped.  They have me wipe my hands on my pants over the bag, then scan my hands for I don't know what, and them I'm on my way.

Imissmybladder
Reply to Cplumber

You left off " humble"...

RYG

If you subscribe to TSA you won’t get have to go through that scanner.  Worth every penny. RYG

Winnie The Pooh

Never a problem. A few months after I got it, about 6 years ago, I made my first, nervous, flight to Frankfurt. Leaving Dublin nobody did anything different - walked straight through the scanner, no pat-down. Coming back, German security were a little more robust, maybe because of the Air Iran plane beside ours! After the walkthrough scanner, I was given a quick pat-down then directed to follow the security guy to a sort of "tent" within the area where nobody could see us. There I had to remove my upper clothing, he took a quick look and said that's OK. Then he apologised very sincerely, poor guy looked quite embarrassed, and offered his hand (it's Germany - they shake hands a lot!) which I was happy to shake. That was it. Oh - the female guard watching us with her hand on her holstered gun then exited stage left!

Since then I've made a few flights to Germany and Estonia and there has been absolutely no hassle or even a question when they do a pat-down. It's like the word has got around and they can detect or identify someone with a stoma, all quite routine and discreet. I've never had to explain, or offer that card that explains in half a dozen languages. Better training, or maybe it's just that there are more of us about than you'd think? Don't worry - you'll be fine.

betsyb
Reply to eefyjig

I asked the agent- It’s an Ostomy. Do you want to see it? And they shuffled me through.