Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,350 members

Bleeding around Stoma.

Posted by Welshman, on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 pm
Has anyone suffered with this.I have been working on the garden for the last few day,s.I have been doing a bit of heavy lifting.For the last three evening,s,i have had quite a bit of blood in my pouch.Three evening,s ago there was quite a lot of blood.It seems to be coming not from the bowel,but from the area around the Stoma.
Reply by Bill, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am
Hello Welshman.
I occasionally experience this but never (before now) linked it with physical hard work.  I just put it down to the fact that my body is gradually disintingrating and now it seems I'm falling apart at the seams! Mine mostly shows when I'm cleaning around it so I put it down to me being too enthusiastic with the wipes. Anyway, it appears to heal up on it's own after a few days so I don't bother about it.
Best wishes  Bill
Reply by pussycat, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am
Hi welshman,

As Bill says, many ostomists experience bleeding around the stoma
that is visible on wipes, but it sounds to me as though your are seeing more than
the norm, if you are finding it in your bag. I suggest that you, at least, phone a stoma
nurse, who will either ease your mind or get it seen to,
best wishes,
pussycat
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:17 am
I've had my ostomy since age 10 and grew up on a farm doing everything under the sun as they say lol , from hoisting hay bails onto the back of a haywagon and stacking them into the hayloft of the barn, to lifting and working with many heavy objects and animals, and many hours gardening etc.....and up until approx a year ago also splitting my own wood for the winter as I lived alone for years so much physical labor all through the years did on occasionally make me bleed also.  
Sometimes we bleed around the stoma due to the acidic output which breaks down our skin into red sore bleeding areas, but when I am especially gardening or doing something that involves more bending, I discovered that the barriers and even the stoma itself is moving around so much more that this causes the problem........make sure the seal or barrier ring around your stoma is not too tight when doing activities involving more bending (in fact, these are times when adheisive PASTE is better than a solid ring which makes things more flexable yet protected) ........of course any seal or barrier ring should cover the area comfortably against the stoma to help prevent the output from getting on the skin....it can be a delicate balance for sure..............however if you continue to bleed I agree a little visit to your Osty Nurse is always a good idea Smile .....try not to worry though, ......

~Doe
Reply by Welshman, on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 pm
Thank,s to you all.I took the advice,and phoned my Stoma Nurse.She told me off for over doing it at my age.I am only 58.She told me to put my feet up for a few day,s.I had lot,s of sympathy from my 3 sister in laws.But my three daughters don,t get fooled any more.The rest has done the trick.The last two day,s have been blood free.Thank.s again for the support.
Reply by Monsieur Le President, on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:18 pm
The Doe does it.
Bang on WD
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 am

Monsieur Le President wrote:
The Doe does it.
Bang on WD

Cheers to you Monsieur! Smile
Reply by Welshman, on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 am

Monsieur Le President wrote:
The Doe does it.
Bang on WD

Words of wisdom and comfort from beautiful women like Pussy cat and Wounded Doe are always very welcome.Thank you Ladies.
Reply by Pooter, on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 pm
Had the same problem after hernia surgery. Went back to work after 6 weeks. Bag would fill up with blood every 30 min. Took bag off once to see what was happening. Blood spurted out from around stoma, went to ER and of course it stopped. This went on for a week and finally went to surgeon and he put a stich where it had been bleeding. Have not had any more problems. Also had not worked since then, worked at company that required alot of lifting and stooping, so maybe that had alot to do with it. Age maybe also (53) I have Ileostomy since 1971
Reply by kimmytk, on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 pm
I use stomahesive powder when mine bleeds between changes. put it on the skin. Wipe off all excess do this 3 or 4 times each bag change..
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.