Ostomy and Reversal

Replies
Views
shortywalker

Hi all, this is my first time to write something. 10 months ago, I ended up with a colostomy bag due to a perforated bowel after getting diverticulitis. I now have the chance of reversal surgery. I have been on prednisone for a long time because of chronic arthritic pain. I have been told by my surgeon that because of the prednisone, the reconnection could break apart or I could end up with a stoma on the other side to rest the reconnected side if things go to plan. I have had to slowly come off the prednisone and am almost there. My question is, is there anyone out there who has had a reversal done and if there were any problems? I am so undecided at the moment as to go through with the surgery or not. Thank you.

Bill

Hello shortywalker.

Thank you for your question, which deserves a much more comprehensive answer than I am able to give. However, the question has been asked before and this site conveniently collects and categorises past posts  so these topics are relatively easy to find. If you try  clicking on  COLLECTIONS ( at the top of the page) then -- PREMIUM CONTENT (then) -- OSTOMY REVERSALS. there are a few past posts on this topic.

I hope you get lots of replies to your own question but while you are waiting it might be instructive to read the other posts so you can get a feel for first-hand experiences.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Shortywalker - I had a reversal 8 months ago after being "on the bag" for 6 months. The first 2 weeks were a little tough, as I was running to the bathroom 10-12 times a day. Now it's roughly 4-5 times a day; more if I eat too much. I have to be careful about what and how much I eat. I was very fortunate to not have any complications. It's been an adjustment for sure, but it's "doo-dooable" and I've gotten used to my new normal.

TSH3759

I also had to have an ostomy due to diverticulitis, abscess ruptured.

Dr. tried to reattach but after the first attempt, I came down with C-Diff infection which caused scar tissue to form at reconnection. I had to have another temporary ostomy. The second attempt was not successful. I now have a permanent ostomy after 2 years and 4 surgeries.