Effective Odor Control Solutions: M9 vs. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

Replies
Views
britathrt60

Hi friends,

I used to use M9 inside the bag for odor control, which worked really well for a while, but there was a strange odor after a few days that was almost like the M9 was reacting with the plastic in the pouch... I switched to Arm and Hammer baking soda and it works great. I scoop a bit in every time I empty, and with an ileostomy that's quite a few times a day. Cheers everyone. Oh, and I spray a bit of perfume in the toilet water after I flush, close the lid, lift the lid up once to waft the perfume smell into the room, then keep the lid closed.

Angela

w30bob

Hi Angela,

I have to admit, when I found this site I was sure I'd learn a great deal about ostomies, etc., but I didn't anticipate learning anything that would make my being short gutted a "good thing". But surprise, surprise.......despite all the challenges associated with SBS, the one thing I DON'T have to deal with is odor! With my gut being so short, the contents just don't have time to ferment and get stinky. I never even thought of that as being a problem for ostomates, and it's just one more topic never explained to me by my doc pre-operation. I'm glad you found something that works for you..........and a cheap solution as well.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hey,

I have tried the baking soda too. I do think it helps with the odor but I do not like the way it clumps. I bought some stuff called Smelleze that is basically the same but the clumping is horrible as well. One day they will make something that doesn't just "help" but something that ELIMINATES! I am waiting! Lol

Puppyluv

looking forward

Good idea, ty.

iMacG5

Hey Bob, I remember some lady who told me she was always right about everything and her crap didn't stink and .  I never thought about it at the time but now I think I understand.  She had SBS but in her case the "B" was for "brain".

Thanks,

Mike

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Mike... I'm still laughing!

Bob

Baw

The lady really needs to tell her friend. She can't always be at home, can she?

britathrt60

Hi Bob....you are sooooooo lucky your poo doesn't smell....All my large bowel has been removed so I am like an open faucet also...but the contents of my ileostomy stink to high rotten heaven...oh my I am so glad there is a window in my bathroom...LOL...

Angela

w30bob

Hi Angela,

It's funny to me that anyone would ever consider me lucky, but as I've often said... there's always folks out there worse off than me, which is why I never complain (except maybe online a little bit). So I looked up what causes ostomy odors and came up with this

Other foods that tend to cause more gas production (and odor) include:

Dried beans,
Cucumbers,
Vegetables from the cabbage family (onions, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower),
Spinach,
Corn, and.
Radishes.

For all my life I've always hated eating all those things, except maybe corn on the cob, and always had to deal with folks telling me to "eat my veggies". And now, what do you know... my disdain for said veggies is paying off! Funny thing though... I drink carbonated ORS all day and night and that doesn't generate any gas at all. Guess I'm just "gas-less", and as you said... very lucky... to be so inclined!

Regards,

Bob