London Travel Emergency: Running Out of Supplies

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and solutions for managing an ostomy emergency while traveling in London and running out of supplies.
Toronto1

Bless you all. I was travelling in London, England recently and ran into a problem. I thought I wouldn't have enough supplies. It was a real issue because I was traveling on to Italy and would be away for quite a while.
Sure enough, I accessed an old discussion which led me to call Hollister who sent me some free samples and Coloplast which helped as well. All went well for the rest of the trip. Thanks again for being there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Wow! Glad that all worked out for you! I also think that specialty pharmacies always keep a small amount of supplies on hand in case of an emergency.
Thank goodness for the supply companies that often help us out!
Pup

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
britathrt60

Wow! Toronto, I am so happy it all worked out for you....the last time I went home to England, I had so many leaks and went through all my supplies...I was using the last ones the day I came back. It was a Sunday and I was crying and miserable and desperate...I called Action Medical where I get my supplies, even though I knew they wouldn't be there, and left a very tearful message...Ron, the owner who lives in Stratford about 45 minutes from here, must have picked up his messages and called me...when he heard how miserable I was, he told me to meet him at Action Medical in 1 hour...I could have kissed his feet when he arrived and helped me out...he even gave me a different flange to try and I have been using them ever since...he was truly a godsend that night and I am forever grateful to him...there are still a lot of good people in this world...It's hard for us ostomates at times, but we will overcome all the obstacles with the help of good people along the way...Take care

Ange

lovely

Hi Toronto1, glad things worked out for you. There are some good folks on this site. We had someone send some extra supplies they had to someone who posted a need; they had.

Bill

Hello Toronto1 (and everyone else who has this sort of problem when visiting the UK.)

Coloplast have a distribution company called 'Charter', who are very responsive to calls for help. Also, 'Fittleworth' are a company who advertise that they will arrange for supplies to be sent anywhere in the world. However, it might be worthwhile to slip  a quick post on MAO, as there are plenty of ostomates in the UK who might be able to help out in these sorts of circumstances. 

Best wishes and travel safely

Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ChrisP

I can testify to excellent service from Fittleworth in the past, and would trust them again. Unfortunately, they aren't allowed to supply to France for some reason. Chris

bowsprit

What a lovely gentleman the owner of that supply store is. On a duck shoot recently, my supplies got soaking wet. I hung them on an electric heater and went to get a drink, they were burned to a crisp.