Switching Appliances for Eczema Under Wafer: 1-Piece vs. 2-Piece?

Replies
Views
d.b. mccrea

15 years of relatively clear skin beneath the wafer changed 6 months ago when I developed a case of moderate eczema. Not even my dermatologist knew how to treat the condition, only because of its impact on adhesiveness. I've used different ostomy products that address skin care and it has helped somewhat. The one constant is the appliance itself (H-8532). Would trying a different appliance help?

Also, I've only used 1-piece appliances and the idea of switching to a 2-piece has crossed my mind. Yes/No? Changing appliances is never easy in the ostomy world!

iMacG5

Hi D.B.  I know nothing about eczema but a little about the skin surrounding the stoma.  Some adhesives affect the skin and some don't.  With some folks adhesives began affecting the skin after years of causing no problem.  Our bodies change and, if your dermotologist agrees, trying appliances from different manufacturers migh mitigate the problem.  Please let us know how you handle this.

Wishing you the best,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

d.b. mccrea

Thank you, Mike. I'm going to do that very thing right after I post this comment. Are you one piece or two pieces? 

Past Member

I occasionally get small spots of eczema under the wafer which come and go, never usually impacting the wafer adhesiveness (I use a Hollister two-piece), but if it looks like the wafer is starting to lift a little I use one of those half-moon "frames" (the brand I use is Welland Hydroframe XWAFH33 but most of the ostomy supply companies have a similar version). Might be just me but I think the hydroframe helps heal the eczema (it looks a lot less inflamed afterwards anyway).

In the past, I have used a couple of Australian products (not sure if they are available overseas but then again Amazon sells just about everything) on spots of eczema called "Moo Goo (!) Eczema and Psoriasis cream" and "Ego QV cream and lotion by Ego Pharmaceuticals", non-steroidal medications that are really effective. If it's a spot under the wafer, I dab on a smear of lotion and then dust it with Stomahesive Powder, clears it right up and doesn't lessen the wear time (I usually change every 4-5 days).

You can get free samples from most of the ostomy suppliers, so by all means take a two-piece out for a test run and see how it goes.

iMacG5

Two-piece Convatec SUR-FIT Natura® Moldable Technology™ Durahesive® Skin Barrier with Hydrocolloid Flexible Collar.  Haven't needed to experiment with others.  Just real lucky so far.

Good luck to you,

Mike

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Hi guys,

How do you guys know what you're seeing is eczema? I've been round and round with a number of dermatologists and I still can't get a straight answer. The only thing they'll commit to is "Contact Dermatitis".....which is like diagnosing someone not feeling good as "sick". I'm asking because eczema has pretty well-defined treatments and contact derm does not.

I fall into that group where things are good for long periods of time and then something happens and I get small areas under the wafer that get red and develop "pock" marks. What I do is if the area is near the outside edge of the barrier, I simply cut the barrier away to let the skin breathe and be exposed to the air. If it's close to the stoma, I flatten out a small piece of barrier ring material and put it over the spot. Lately, I've been using Nystatin (liquid) combined with Betamethasone (valerate foam), not the ointment, which dries completely and doesn't prevent the barrier from sticking. You don't want to use the Beta for very long lengths of time, but for quick calming of red skin, it works really well and fast. But it is expensive. The Nystatin doesn't seem to affect adhesion either, but again it's not a lotion or ointment.

Regards,

Bob

2marilyn2

Hi, I had a bad itchy rash under the wafer, my stoma nurse prescribed the steroid puffer that asthmatics use. I had to spray it on once a day, it dries very quickly so it doesn't affect the adhesion of the wafer. A couple of days and the rash had cleared up! Now I just use it once if I think I'm having a flare up to nip it in the bud! Lol sorry. Take care!

d.b. mccrea

Awesome! Thanks!

d.b. mccrea

I've received the most remarkable responses, and they were all from fellow ostomates, not the medical community. I'm not surprised, but I am overwhelmed. Thank you.

d.b. mccrea

Bob, mine is red in appearance, like a sunburn. There are also dry, flaky areas that are prone to weep blood when even slightly disturbed. My dermatologist took one look and said eczema.

w30bob

Hi D.B.,

Yup, that sounds like eczema!

Regards,

Bob