Recovering from Hernia Surgery: My Experience and Tips

Replies
Views
Little Red

Hi everyone. It has been awhile since my last post. I am at home recovering from hernia surgery. I had 4 repaired. One parastomal hernia under my stoma, and 3 incisional hernias. I still have 2, one in each groin, but because I was under for 5 1/2 hrs, my surgeon saved those for another time. He repaired the one under my stoma and also made my stoma smaller (which is good). It has been over 2 weeks since my surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had a lot of adhesions and scar tissue that needed to be cleared away. Surgery was laparoscopic with robot assist, the only way to go. But don't let anyone tell you it is not major. I am just now taking it one day at a time and feeling a little less pain as each day goes by. Well, that's my story. The other thing that has helped was my surgeon applied a binder after my surgery, and I am wearing it during the day and at night.

Bill

Hello Little Red.   Thanks for the update and it sounds as if everything is progressing well so far.  I do hope it continues to do so and that your recovery is a rapid one.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,481 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hey Little Red!
So glad to hear all things went well and you are on the road to recovery! I am sure life will be a bit easier with all those hernias taken care of! Take it slow as you know!
Keep us posted!

Rest up! Enjoy that time! Hope you have someone waiting on you hand and foot!

Puppy

Little Red

Thanks Puppy, but I have been on my own here at home, except for a gal that comes in to help with housework and meals 3 times a week. My granddaughter was with me the day of my surgery; she was my lifeline. My sons' sister lives away or out of state.

It has not been a fun trip, LOL, but glad it is behind me. Thanks everyone.

Puppyluv56

Wow,  

I know that has to be tough! Doing all that on your own is a big thing. I really like to be left alone when I have surgery. My husband does cook for me and brings me anything I want, so I am very lucky. My animals would suffer if I was not able to tend to them. It would be tough feeding them and letting the dog in and out.  
Thanks goodness for your niece! I know that was a big help.  
Hope you continue to do as well as you have!  
Puppy  

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Little Red

Puppy. I have a cat and she is an inside cat. My gal that comes cleans her litter box and I can feed her. I slept on my sofa the first 8 days at home, only the past 4 or 5 in my bed. I feel the worst is behind me. And yes, it is tough not having anyone to help.

Morning glory

Hi Little Red,

Thanks for the update. I am glad you're recovering well now. That was quite an ordeal you have been through. I hope you will continue to mend.

All the best,

Rebecca

lovely

Hi Little Red, sorry you have had to go through so much and mostly by yourself. I am glad you are on the mend and hope for a complete healing.

britathrt60

Hi Little Red

You have been through a lot... I wish you all the best as you recover.... Take it easy and take care.

Ange

Angelicamarie

Hi Little Red.

Any surgery is taxing to our bodies. Take your time as you recover. My prayers are with you!

Take care,

Angelicamarie

lovely

Hi, Little Red. Just wondering how you are doing. Hope you are a lot better.

Little Red
Reply to Puppyluv56

Thanks all. It has been awhile since posting. My hernia repair under my stoma failed and is now the size of a cantaloupe. The other three are good. I am just plugging along with what I have. Unless I would have a problem with the parastomal hernia, I won't have anything done now. Hope this finds you all well and enjoying your life.

lovely

Hi Little Red, good to hear from you. Sorry they were not able to fix everything. Best wishes.