Post-Surgery Pain Duration?

Replies
Views
bob1022

Had my ostomy on 8-29-19, spent 8 days in ICU. Woke up with a respirator, thought I was dying. Had to rush to the ER 3 days before surgery date due to the pain, 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. Spent 18 days total in the hospital.

Pain through the roof for the whole time in there. Had my reversal on 1-29-20, spent 4 days in ICU, 11 days total in the hospital. Doing pretty good overall, getting some weird pains on and off in my belly. Not sure if it's just gas or poop moving. Highest pain since I got out last Saturday night, about 7-8, so that's not too bad. I'm wondering how long to expect to have post-surgery pain. I believe last time it was about 6 weeks after surgery. I'm hoping for less time on this one, it's been 15 days. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. God bless. NOBODY COULD EVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND THE PAIN WE WENT THROUGH. YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT TO KNOW...

Morning glory

Hi Bob1022

Just give it more time. Happy for your successful reversal.

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bob1022

Thank you. It has been a crazy nightmare for 6 months.

britathrt60

Hi Bob 1022

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

You are so right about the pain we go through.

Like the song says "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Hang in there... let the healing happen.

Ange

bob1022

Thank you. God bless.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
britathrt60

God bless you too.

lovely

Glad to hear you were able to get a reversal. Just don't push yourself and cause more problems. Best wishes

bob1022

Thank you. I'm not doing anything for 8 weeks. This has been a crazy nightmare for 6 months. God bless.

currentsitguy

Maybe it's just been my experience, but that level of pain seems a bit excessive. I'm about a week ahead of you. I was reversed on Wednesday, the 22nd. Thursday morning they had me up and walking, albeit with the help of morphine every two hours. Friday the NG Tube came out and that made getting up much better. Saturday the catheter came out. By that point the only real pain was the incision itself, which was pretty painful. Midday Sunday they discontinued the morphine. I couldn't really justify it any longer and I was concerned it would end up constipating me. Sunday was also the day my guts pretty much let loose. It was gas all day long on Saturday. On Sunday I was in the bathroom at least 20 times. Monday I was down to about 10. Tuesday they sent me home, and by that point a few Tylenol spread throughout the day pretty much took care of it. The staples came out last week and I stopped the Tylenol on Tuesday. Now there's a little occasional residual itchiness but that seems to be the extent of it. I'm down to basically two trips on average a day, though one night a few days back, for whatever reason I got woken up at 4:30 with some pretty nasty diarrhea. Still not sure what that was all about.

When I had the initial colostomy, in August of 18, I think it took me a week or two longer to get back to this point.

Are the doctors telling you this is normal?

bob1022

Yes, they are. I had a lot of dead scar tissue they had to cut out, and the operation took almost 4 hours. I do not remember the day and the next day after the surgery, Wednesday and Thursday.

Friday, I was walking in the ICU. I got out on Sunday to a regular room. I was passing liquid, but it took until Thursday to start passing gas. I came home last Saturday.

The pain is better today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It was just stool and gas. Thank you. God bless.

britathrt60

Hi currents... I think it would depend on the severity of the case. He was in ICU on a ventilator... It nearly killed me too. I was in the hospital for a month. Yours was extremely successful, which is fantastic... Not everyone can be so lucky. Take care. 

Ange.

currentsitguy

I understand that, and of course, everyone's experience varies. I was, however, under the impression that usually diverticulitis patients have an easier time of it, as these things go, not to say it's a cakewalk for any of us.

britathrt60

A friend of mine had diverticulitis and was very constipated. Her family doctor told her to take laxatives. A couple of days later, her bowel burst. It was touch and go because she was septic. She survived, thank God. She had a colostomy for six months and had a very successful reversal. A very happy ending.

currentsitguy

That's how I initially started. I micro-perforated and abscessed. I spent 10 days in the hospital with drains sticking out of me. nbsp; Different doctors at that time said I should be OK. Riiiiiiight.... 8 months later, I developed a fistula to my bladder and was living on handfuls of Senna and Cipro a day. Not too long afterward, I developed a wicked UTI and was in emergency surgery for the temporary colostomy.

Based on what she told me, I kinda wish I had pictures just to see how bad I was inside. She told me I was a train wreck.

My 6 months turned into 16, first because I lost my insurance, and then the surgeon broke her hand.

britathrt60

Wow, Currents, you went to hell and back.... There is so much negligence being done by surgeons and doctors. It's sickening... and they get away with it. Glad you are doing so much better now. Take care.

Ange

true_jes

Hi Bob,

You are so right. I am so glad there are online communities!!

I lost my colon 1-29-20, the same day as your reversal. I'm still exhausted utterly and am sending hugs and healing vibes your way. :)

Jes