Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,682 members

Had my reversal 1-29-20

Posted by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 am

Had my ostomy on 8-29-19 spent 8 days in ICU woke up with a reserator thought i was dying. Had to rush to the ER 3 days before sugery date due the pain 12 number, spent 18 days total in the hospital.

Pain through the roof for the whole time in there. had my reversal 1-29-20 spent 4 days ICU 11 days total in the hospital. Doing pretty good over all getting some wierd pains on an off in my belly not sure if its just gas or poop moving highest pain since i got out last sat night about 7-8 so thats not to bad.Im wondering how long to expect to have post surgery pain??? I belive last time it was about 6 weeks after surgery im hoping less time on this one its been 15 days. Any respones will be greatly appreciated. Thank You God bless . NOBODY COULD EVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND THE PAIN WE WENT THROUGH YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT TO KNOW........

Reply by Morning glory , on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 am

Hi bob1022

Just give it more time. Happy for your successful reversal. 

Rebecca

Reply by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am
Morning glory wrote:

Hi bob1022

Just give it more time. Happy for your successful reversal. 

Rebecca

thank you been a crazy nightmare for 6 months

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:54 am

Hi Bob 1022

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery

You are so right about the pain we go through

Like the song says "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger "

Hang in there..let the healing happen.

Ange 

Last edited by britathrt60 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 am
britathrt60 wrote:

Hi Bob 2022

Ange 

Thank You GOD BLESS

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:02 am
bob1022 wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:

Hi Bob 2022

Ange 

Thank You GOD BLESS

God bless you too.

Reply by lovely, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Glad to hear you you were able to get a reversal. Just don't push yourself and cause more problems. Best wishes

Reply by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm

thank you im not doing anything for 8 weeks this has been a crazy night mare for 6 months GOD BLESS

Reply by currentsitguy, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Maybe it's just been my experience, but that level of pain seems a bit excessive. I'm about a week ahead of you. I was reversed on the Wednesday, the 22nd. Thursday morning they had me up and walking, albeit with the help of morphine every two hours. Friday the NG Tube came out and that made getting up much better. Saturday the catheter came out. By that point the only realy pain was the incision itself, which was pretty painful. Mid day Sunday they discontinued the morphine. I couldn't really justify it any longer and I was concerned it would end up constipating me. Sunday was also the day my guts pretty much let loose. It was gas all day long on Saturday. On Sunday I was in the bathroom at least 20 times. Monday I was down to about 10. Tuesday they sent me home, and by that point a few Tylenol spread throughout the day pretty much took care of it. The staples came out last week and I stopped the Tylenol on Tuesday. Now there's a little occasional residual itchiness but that seems to be the extent of it. I'm down to basically two trips on average a day, though one night a few days back, for whatever reason I go woken up at 4:30 with some pretty nasty diarrhea. Still not sure what that was all about.

When I had the intitial colostomy, in August of 18, I think it took me a week or two longer to get back to this point.

Are the doctors telling you this is normal?

Reply by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm
currentsitguy wrote:

Maybe it's just been my experience, but that level of pain seems a bit excessive. I'm about a week ahead of you. I was reversed on the Wednesday, the 22nd. Thursday morning they had me up and walking, albeit with the help of morphine every two hours. Friday the NG Tube came out and that made getting up much better. Saturday the catheter came out. By that point the only realy pain was the incision itself, which was pretty painful. Mid day Sunday they discontinued the morphine. I couldn't really justify it any longer and I was concerned it would end up constipating me. Sunday was also the day my guts pretty much let loose. It was gas all day long on Saturday. On Sunday I was in the bathroom at least 20 times. Monday I was down to about 10. Tuesday they sent me home, and by that point a few Tylenol spread throughout the day pretty much took care of it. The staples came out last week and I stopped the Tylenol on Tuesday. Now there's a little occasional residual itchiness but that seems to be the extent of it. I'm down to basically two trips on average a day, though one night a few days back, for whatever reason I go woken up at 4:30 with some pretty nasty diarrhea. Still not sure what that was all about.

When I had the intitial colostomy, in August of 18, I think it took me a week or two longer to get back to this point.

yes they are i had a lot of dead scare tissue they had to cut out and the op took almost 4 hours i do not remember the day and next day after the surgery, WED THURS.

friday i was walking in ICU got out sunday to a reg room was passing liquid took till thurs to start passing gas came home last sat.

the pain is better today so im keeping my finger crossed it was just stool and gas THANK YOU GOD BLESS

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 pm
currentsitguy wrote:

Hi currents ..I think it would depend on the severity of the case..he was in ICU on a ventilator ..it nearly killed me too..I was in hospital for a month ..yours was extremely successful which is fantastic...not everyone can be so lucky...take care 

Ange

Reply by currentsitguy, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 pm
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:

Hi currents ..I think it would depend on the severity of the case..he was in ICU on a ventilator ..it nearly killed me too..I was in hospital for a month ..yours was extremely successful which is fantastic...not everyone can be so lucky...take care 

Ange

I understand that, and of course, everyone's experience varies. I was, however, under the impression that usually diverticulitis patients have an easier time of it, as these things go, not to say it's a cakewalk for any of us.

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 pm
currentsitguy wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:

Ange

I understand that, and of course, everyone's experience varies. I was, however, under the impression that usually diverticulitis patients have an easier time of it, as these things go, not to say it's a cakewalk for any of us.

A friend of mine had diverticulitis and was very constipated ..her family doc told her to take laxatives ...couple days later her bowel burst it was touch and go because she was septic ..she survived Thank god ..had a colostomy fior six months  and had a very successful reversal ..a very happy ending ☺

Reply by currentsitguy, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:

Ange

A friend of mine had diverticulitis and was very constipated ..her family doc told her to take laxatives ...couple days later her bowel burst it was touch and go because she was septic ..she survived Thank god ..had a colostomy fior six months  and had a very successful reversal ..a very happy ending ☺

That's how I intitially started. I micro-perforated and abscessed. I spent 10 days in the hospital with drains sticking out of me.  Different doctors at that time I should be OK. Riiiiiiight.... 8 months later I developed a fistula to my bladder and was living on handfulls of Senna and Cipro a day. Not too long afterward I developed a wicked UTI and was in emergency surgery for the temporary colostomy.

Based on what she told me, I kinda wish I had pictures just to see how bad I was inside. She told me I was a train wreck.

My 6 months turned into 16, first because I lost my insurance, and then the surgeon broke her hand.

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 pm
currentsitguy wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:

Ange

That's how I intitially started. I micro-perforated and abscessed. I spent 10 days in the hospital with drains sticking out of me.  Different doctors at that time I should be OK. Riiiiiiight.... 8 months later I developed a fistula to my bladder and was living on handfulls of Senna and Cipro a day. Not too long afterward I developed a wicked UTI and was in emergency surgery for the temporary colostomy.

Based on what she told me, I kinda wish I had pictures just to see how bad I was inside. She told me I was a train wreck.

My 6 months turned into 16, first because I lost my insurance, and then the surgeon broke her hand.

Wow Currents you went to hell and back ....there is so much negligence being done by surgeons and doctors it's sickening...and  they get away with it ..glad you are doing so much better now. .take care 

Ange

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.