Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,699 members

Tuna fish?

Posted by gardengirl, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi - 

being buying a lot of tunafish in a can - scared of theirs virus... haven't eaten tunafish yet, how do you all do with it with an ileostomy? 
thanks .

Reply by panther, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Tuna fish is ok to eat  won't cause any problems...it's bit smelly when emptying but so is a lot of food don't let that stop you enjoying it 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:37 pm

I have a Colostomy but have no problems with tuna! Have tuna salad on crackers every day for lunch. 
pup

Reply by Bill, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Hello Gardengirl.

I eat tuna regularly both from the can and 'fresh'(if that's not a contridiction in terms)  I like it very much and have never come to any harm eating it.

However, I do have recurring and increasing amounts of 'indigestable' guilt about the way that some of the tuna is treated before it dies, but that is a different story!

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by mcoco, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi  I have a lot of issues with food but tunafish I can eat.  I have no problem.  I bought a lot of tunafish myself just in case with this coronavirus going around

Reply by gardengirl, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 pm
panther wrote:

Tuna fish is ok to eat  won't cause any problems...it's bit smelly when emptying but so is a lot of food don't let that stop you enjoying it 

Do you have an ileostomy? How long have you had it? 

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi

I have an Ileostomy and enjoy Tuna Fish in salads or sandwiches and it never smells when emptying.

I love canned Salmon as well but can't eat it because  of the strong fish small which hangs on for days when emptying.  Probably because the tuna is packed in water and salmon has a lot of oils.

Reply by newyorktorque, on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi Gardengirl.  I am 4 yrs post loop ileo and tuna fish is fine with my stoma.  I'm a pescetarian so seafood is my 'meat'.

Reply by ron in mich, on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:08 am

Hi Gardengirl the only problem i have is tuna from the pacific that got radiation from the fukishima nuclear reactor in japan, i try to get only fish caught from the atlantic, i also eat sardines for the calcium.

Reply by gardengirl, on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Thanks to all for the comments - very appreciated!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.