Managing Tuna Fish with an Ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing the consumption of tuna fish with an ileostomy.
gardengirl

Hi -

I've been buying a lot of tuna fish in a can - scared of their virus... haven't eaten tuna fish yet, how do you all do with it with an ileostomy?
Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Tuna fish is okay to eat. It won't cause any problems... it's a bit smelly when emptying, but so is a lot of food. Don't let that stop you from enjoying it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

I have a colostomy but have no problems with tuna! I have tuna salad on crackers every day for lunch.
pup

Bill

Hello Gardengirl.

I eat tuna regularly both from the can and 'fresh'(if that's not a contridiction in terms)  I like it very much and have never come to any harm eating it.

However, I do have recurring and increasing amounts of 'indigestable' guilt about the way that some of the tuna is treated before it dies, but that is a different story!

Best wishes

Bill

mcoco

Hi, I have a lot of issues with food but tunafish I can eat. I have no problem. I bought a lot of tunafish myself just in case with this coronavirus going around.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gardengirl

Do you have an ileostomy? How long have you had it? 

britathrt60

Hi

I have an ileostomy and enjoy tuna fish in salads or sandwiches and it never smells when emptying.

I love canned salmon as well but can't eat it because of the strong fish smell which hangs on for days when emptying. Probably because the tuna is packed in water and salmon has a lot of oils.

newyorktorque

Hi Gardengirl. I am 4 years post loop ileo and tuna fish is fine with my stoma. I'm a pescetarian so seafood is my 'meat'.

ron in mich

Hi Gardengirl, the only problem I have is tuna from the Pacific that got radiation from the Fukushima nuclear reactor in Japan. I try to get only fish caught from the Atlantic. I also eat sardines for the calcium.

gardengirl

Thanks to all for the comments - very appreciated!

Homie With A Stomie NS

I love tuna but to be honest when emptying you know you ate tuna lol....but it has not had any negetative effects...enjoy