Stoma Relocation Surgery: Recovery Time & Incision Details?

Replies
Views
ccojei

Hello everyone, I'm having my stoma relocated from my right side to my left. I've had 3 revisions on my current stoma and now developed a hernia that is causing me a lot of pain. I was wondering if anyone has had this surgery before? My doctor said he doesn't use a big incision on my stomach but rather just creates the new hole and pulls the intestines out and creates a new stoma. Will the old stoma site be an open wound? How long were you in the hospital and how long till you guys were fully recovered? Thank you

lovely

Hi ccojei, you have had a lot of problems for such a young age. Has your surgery date been set yet? I don't have any of the problems you have, I just wanted to tell you I hope this time will be the last one for you. I will be pulling for you. There is a lot of information on this site sometimes it may take awhile for some to answer because of different time zones. So keep checking back and please keep us informed with your progress. It may help some others with the same problem. Best wishes, stay safe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi cco,

Yes, the relocation can be done laparoscopically.......so lucky you! Your old site will not be an open wound. They'll repair the hernia by inserting a mesh for your skin to graft onto and your hernia will be a thing of the past. The wound will then heal normally and you'll have a cool scar to show off later. Assuming there are no adhesions, they'll then pull your intestines through a new hole in your abdomen on the other side, lop off 6 to 12 inches of your intestine to give them some nice virgin bowel to play with, pull it through your new hole, and stitch it to your abdominal wall. Since they're not resectioning your bowel, you'll be out of there in no time, meaning a couple of days if not sooner. Full recovery, meaning you can do sit-ups and ab exercises, will be in a few months.

The important thing for you to do now is determine where you want your new stoma to be placed. High or low. In your pants or above your beltline. Make sure it's not put on a normal crease line for your abdomen or right ON your beltline. Should all be easy-peasy! You might want to ask folks on here what the pros and cons are for each potential stoma location. Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Bob

ccojei

Thank you for the response! Yes, unfortunately I've had a good amount of surgeries, but am hoping this one can solve the pain problems. Right now there's no date due to the coronavirus. I'm on top of the priority list at my hospital and they said they expect to be doing "elective" surgeries in mid-May.

ron in mich

Hi Ccojei, I had resection surgery 2 years ago and stoma relocated to the left side. It was a full open surgery and I was in the hospital for eleven days, although I would have been out sooner but had an Afib heart attack. The old stoma site was closed with about a dozen staples with no issues. The main incision was closed all but about an inch on the bottom to let it drain. It was about 8-10 weeks before I had any energy to do anything, but then I was 67 years old at the time. Good luck and keep asking questions, that's what we are here for.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Maried

I remember when the surgeon was trying to figure out where to place the stoma site over 30 years ago, he made me stand then sit and marked the spot with a black marker. I have had two hernias and two repairs since. The second seemed to work, and the repairs had me out of commission for about 6 weeks.

keithy58

I have a colostomy stoma. I have had 3 revisions. nbsp

Last one in January. The 1st and 2nd were done by the same surgeon, the last different hospital. I have terrible granulars that go all over my stoma. They bleed, and I am anemic. It's only been 3 months since I have had them back, and there's more as they pulled new bowel up, but they don't pull enough through.

I have had several operations, so I have a lot of scar tissue. I can't have it moved, as on my right side, I have an ileal conduit stoma for my wee. As I had my bladder removed, I have had 11 major operations. I think the only way is to cut me up the middle. They would then see how much bowel would need to be pulled through.

You'll be okay having it moved. The way they want to do it is less invasive. 4 days in the hospital, and they will sow the old site up. It heals well. Good luck, your Keith.

britathrt60

Hi C.

I had stoma relocation to the left side after a failed reversal. It was a full surgery over 20 years ago. Your right side site will heal well and just be a small scar. I've never had a major problem with it since. Take care and stay safe.

Ange.