Dealing with uric acid stones - seeking advice on medication

Replies
Views
Riva

Have had my ileostomy for six years. Recently, my body has been manufacturing uric acid stones which are not fun to pass. Recently started an apple cider vinegar and lemon juice regimen. My doctor is putting me on a medication called allopurinol. I'm not a big fan of taking pills. Anyone dealing with stone formation issue? If so, what are you doing for it?
Thanks

ron in mich

Hi Riva, my urologist said to drink a glass of water with lemon juice every day and that's what I do. I have stones in both kidneys but they don't bother me, so I don't take any meds for them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Riva:  I've had ileostomy since '64.   Had uric acid stones in mid 80s.  Been on allopurinol since then and have had no more problems.  Because of the liquid lost through the ostomy, that puts extra pressure on the kidneys, a fact which I wish I'd been told by my doctors way back when.  Ergo, I now have stage 3 chronic kidney disease (working at 37%).  So I also recommend that you drink plenty of water during the day.  Best of luck.

Henry M

Past Member

Hi Riva,

I too have suffered from stones. One doctor had me on Allopurinol, with little effect. I finally was directed to another internist by my urologist who did several 24hr urine analyses from which he figured I also needed Urocit-K to help the pH. That seemed to have done the trick. In addition, he has me on a minimum of 3 liters of water/liquid a day. I have already lost one kidney and don't want any more damage.

Immarsh

Hi Riva, as with the others who wrote, I too have had uric acid stones, for almost as long as I've had my ileostomy..50 years. Early on, I thought it was pelvic issues with my period, until I started to see orange gravel. After I had my first "kidney stone attack" I went on allopurinol.....and remembered to drink a lot (at least 8 - 10 glasses per day.) I had had ulcerative colitis, and my husband and two kids (who inherited the IBD) also had uric acid stones... My ex took medication, the kids didn't need the surgery, and they drink a lot of water.....so do not take the medication. Although I don't have uric acid stones any longer, I do have bacterial stones (like sludge) due to a damaged kidney... Staying hydrated, and drinking a lot of water, even when you're not thirsty is really important.. If you don't have your large intestine, you are more susceptible to developing kidney disease....which can lead to lesser function and dialysis.... Don't be afraid of the allopurinol. It's better than painful attacks... Best of luck.. Maarsha

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chet8625

I've been on allopurinol for about a year now due to gout. But I have bad kidney stones going back to 1990. I'm not a big believer in supplements but back then I started taking cranberry supplements (pills, not juice) and I've never had an issue since.

Also, water, water, water.

Newbie Dana

"The high acid concentration of the urine makes it easier for uric acid stones to form. Instead: To prevent uric acid stones, cut down on high-purine foods such as red meat, organ meats, and shellfish, and follow a healthy diet that contains mostly vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products." - National Kidney Foundation

High-protein diet can lead to more uric acid stones. It is also very important to drink lots of water, as people with ostomies tend to always be very slightly dehydrated. A diet which raises the pH of the urine also helps.

I hope with these and the other suggestions above, you will find relief. Also, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about natural ways to raise urine pH and get relief without using medication. A good doctor is not wedded to passing out pills, although that does tend to be their first go-to.