Best ostomy filter for liquidy output?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
EAM

Hi,

Looking at switching to a one-piece drainable system for my colostomy, which has more liquidy output, and I am looking for a filter that doesn't clog.

An hour after I put the bag on, I currently use a two-piece Convatec, but the filter fails almost immediately and I am having some wafer adhesion problems. So... I am looking at the Hollister Cera Plus

and the Coloplast Sensura Mio Flip (I have a hernia). I am sampling these two. Any others I should consider?

I appreciate your input on my output.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

EAM,

I never liked filtered bags just because of the clogging and smell. Better to just burp your bag. At least that's my 2 cents.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

I use Hollister two-piece and like Bain, I just burp the bag. Good luck finding something that works for you. Stay safe.

EAM

Thanks, Bain,

I know what you mean, but I really want a one-piece to fit over my hernia and can't really burp those so easily. 

Eric

Puppyluv56

I have decided that even with the "New and improved" filters, none are worth the time they take to make them. If it gets wet, it does not work. If your output is liquid, sometimes the liquid will seep out of the filter. I still use them but they last maybe a day or two.

If you find one that really works, I would be most interested.
I have used both Convetec two-piece and Coloplast two-piece. Neither one is any better than the other except the Coloplast is way too hard to burp!
Pup

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
EAM

Thanks

MBT

Have you tried the Osto EZ Vent? I've never tried the product since I need a 2-piece system, but it might be worth looking into.

EAM

I just ordered some with my last order!

MBT

Please share your thoughts on it once you try it out!

EAM

Will do!

EAM

Tried the Osteo-ez vent on a Convetec two-piece and a one-piece Coloplast, both drainable.

The vent does work but due to the small hole size you have to put a good bit of pressure on the bag to get the gases to flow through the vent. When and if I can switch to just the one piece without the leaks I am plagued with,

I will use the Osteo-ez vent so I can get excess gas out.

Overall, I would say they work as advertised.

MBT

I wondered how easily these would vent. Thanks for the feedback!

EAM

So an update,

After trying Hollister Cera Plus, Coloplast Sensura Mio Flip, and Convatec Natura,

And using the Osteo Ez Vent,

I have decided on the Natura Plus. The filters do clog pretty quickly, but if I get the 2-piece then I can just burp it. The EZ vents are okay, but a little more of a pain than I found them worth.

I really wanted to like the Sensura Mio Flip since it is made for hernias and the filter works well for me, but... even with barrier rings and strips, I still only got one day wear before a blowout.

So there we are, pretty much back where I started except using a drainable bag in place of a closed end.

Thanks for all your input!

lovely

You don't know until you try things for yourself. What works for one may not work for others. Best wishes and stay safe.

EAM

You be safe and well too.