Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,023 members

Looking for the best ostomy filter

EAM
Posted by EAM, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi,

Looking at switching to a one piece drainable system for my colostomy, which has more liquidy output, and I am looking for a filter that doesn't clog 

an hour after I put the bag on. I currently use a two piece Convatec, but the filter fails almost immeadiantly and I am having some wafer adhesion problems, So...... I am looking at the Hollister Cera Plus

and the Coloplast Sensura Mio Flip ( have a hernia). I am sampling these two, Any others I should consider?

I appreciate your input on my output

Reply by NJ Bain, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:09 pm

EAM,

I never liked filtered bags just because of the clogging and smell.  Better to just burp your bag.  At least that's my 2 cents.

Bain

Reply by lovely, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:30 pm

I use Holister two piece and like Bain I just burp the bag.Good luck finding something that works for you. Stay safe

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm
NJ Bain wrote:

EAM,

I never liked filtered bags just because of the clogging and smell.  Better to just burp your bag.  At least that's my 2 cents.

Bain

Thanks Bain,

I know what you mean, but I really want a one piece to fit over my hernia and can't really burp those so easily, 

Eric

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:51 pm

I have decided that even with the "New and improved" filters, none are worth the time they take to make them. If it gets wet, it does not work. If your output is liquid, sometimes the liquid will seep out of the filter. I still use them but they last maybe a day or two.

if you find one that really works, I would be most Interested. 
i have used both Convetec two piece and Coloplast two piece. Neither one is any better than the other except the  Coloplast is way too hard to burp! 
pup

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:39 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

I have decided that even with the "New and improved" filters, none are worth the time they take to make them. If it gets wet, it does not work. If your output is liquid, sometimes the liquid will seep out of the filter. I still use them but they last maybe a day or two.

if you find one that really works, I would be most Interested. 
i have used both Convetec two piece and Coloplast two piece. Neither one is any better than the other except the  Coloplast is way too hard to burp! 
pup

Thanks

Reply by NurseWithAnOstomy, on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Have you tried the Osto EZ Vent? I've never tried the product since I need a 2-piece system, but it might be worth looking into.

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:07 pm

I just ordered some with my last order!

Reply by NurseWithAnOstomy, on Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:46 pm
EAM wrote:

I just ordered some with my last order!

Please share your thoughts on it once you try it out!

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Will do!

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 am

Tried the Osteo-ez vent on a Convetec two piece and a one piece coloplast, both drainable.

The vent does work but due to the small hole size you hav to put a good bit of pressure on the bag to get the 

gases to flow through the vent, When and if I can switch to just the one piece with out the leaks I am plauged with,

I will use the Osteo-ez vent so I can get excess gass out.

Over all I would say they work as advertised.

Reply by NurseWithAnOstomy, on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm
EAM wrote:

Tried the Osteo-ez vent on a Convetec two piece and a one piece coloplast, both drainable.

The vent does work but due to the small hole size you hav to put a good bit of pressure on the bag to get the 

gases to flow through the vent, When and if I can switch to just the one piece with out the leaks I am plauged with,

I will use the Osteo-ez vent so I can get excess gass out.

Over all I would say they work as advertised.

I wondered how easily these would vent. Thanks for the feedback!

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:35 am

So an Update,

After trying Hollister Cera Plus, Coloplast Sensura Mio Flip and Convatec Natura,

And using the Osteo Ez Vent

I have decided on The Natura Plus, The filters do clog pretty quickly but if I get the 2 piece then I can just burp it, The EZ vents are okay but a little more of a pain than I found them worth.

I really wanted to like the Sensura Mio Flip since it is made for hernias and the filter works well for me, but.... even with barrier rings and strips I still only got one day wear before a blow out.

So there we are, pretty much back where I started except using a drainable bag in place of a closed end.

Thanks for all your input!

Reply by lovely, on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:41 pm

You don't know until you try things for yourself. What works for one may not work for others. Best wishes and stay safe.

EAM
Reply by EAM, on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 pm
lovely wrote:

You don't know until you try things for yourself. What works for one may not work for others. Best wishes and stay safe.

You be safe and well too

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.