Finally Found Pants for My Ileostomy!

Replies
Views
Frog Pond

I had my ileostomy in March 2018. Since then, I have not been able to wear my pants fully closed and needed suspenders to keep them up and a long shirt to cover my bag and provide sufficient modesty. I also need to constantly wear a t-shirt to keep the suspenders off of my shoulders. My stoma is right at my waist and a belt would go right across it. Since my ileostomy is so active, I cannot keep it tightly confined.

Yesterday, I went looking for "hiphuggers" pants that would fasten below my flange. I found a pair of LEVIS 502 REGULAR TAPER at Kohl's department store. They are designed to ride low on the hips. These, so far, seem to be the solution. I normally wear 38-32 but because they are worn low, they fit great at 36-30. They are pricey at $69.50 but were on sale for $41 yesterday.

I will post an update if my enthusiasm for these pants changes later. I expect there are other men who would benefit from these.

w30bob

Hi Frog,

Yeah man, I hear you. I wear Levi's 505's (size 35x34) and they just fit below my stoma, so I can wear my bag out. Like you, I've got an active stoma, so I need access to my bag all the time. I usually buy my Levi's pre-owned (that's "used" for us older folks) on eBay for cheap. I can't see paying $50 for a pair of jeans. And with Levi's, you're paying at least half that price just for the name. I find Levi's Carpenter shorts (size 32) also fit my stoma perfectly, and I bought a click belt to allow instant changes....as belts with holes provide too coarse an adjustment.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I don't know about where y'all live, but we have a Hospice and a Goodwill store that sell clothes really reasonably.

Bill

After much experimentation, I decided that 'boiler-suits' (onesies) were my best option. They don't need a belt or braces; they open up down the front for instant access without having to remove them ; Best of all, it makes me look as if I do something practical and useful for a living.

I have an idea for making a regular suit (with a waistcoat) into a onesie by connecting the waistcoat to the trousers. One day I'll get around to making it and I'll then be able to let you know how I get on with wearing it. 

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi all, when I got my first ileo 34 years ago, I worked in shipping and receiving, so I wore bib overalls which were kinda in style at the time, and those worked great with easy access to the pouch. But then sweatpants and jogging suits came in style with the elastic waist that rode just above my stoma. The sweats are pretty much what I wear most of the time now that I'm retired. I occasionally wear dress pants for going out to dinner for special occasions pre-COVID-19.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HenryM

I go with what Bill said.  I love his comment about it making him look like he does something practical or useful for a living.  What you refer to as "boiler suits" I call coveralls.  Also, I've worn bib overalls, which don't have sleeves (in fact, I've got 'em on in my photo).  The coveralls, as they zip down the front, are great and easy for when you need to empty.  Also, no waist pressure.  Also, easy for guys gaining weight in that area.  It's a shame that surgeons don't take these matters into account when they place the stoma.  I had to have my ostomy re-done in 2011 and it was moved from the right side to the left.  I put an X on the spot that i wanted it so the doctor wouldn't put it too high.  

Bill

Hello Henry.

Was !  I wear the bib & brace ones in the summertime but the ones they sell over here dont have a zip or buttons right down the front, so they are not as convenient for access to the stoma without taking them off. I found one style with a zip on one one of my trips to New Zealand and they are the best. However, on the next trip there, I could not find them anywhere. (Typical) I believe they are made in Australia but I am not one for buying these sorts of things online because I like to try things like this on, to ascertain if they will do exactly what I need them to. 

Best wishes

Bill

HenryM

You're right about the problem with the bib overalls being inconvenient when you need access.  I would only wear them around the house so that, when necessary, I could just let 'em drop.  And the coveralls, as handy as that front zip all the way down can be, are limited to only the most casual outings.  Maybe we ought to consider kilts, eh?