Stoma soreness after laying on it - bruised or injured?

Replies
Views
royalrosepdx

Anyone else ever lay on their stoma for too long? Like maybe slept on your stomach by accident? It gets tough laying on my back 100% of the time. Especially because I have 3 different back conditions, I need to stretch before I get out of bed.
Right now, my stoma hurts since laying on it hours later. Passing food and gas actually hurts. As many of you know, you can hear your gas more than feel it. Right now I feel every movement and a little gas feels like I'm passing a large seed. Gave my stoma a rest and air by leaving the bag off a while when changing, even then I noticed pain, more mucus, and dark red flesh tone. Do you think I could have bruised the stoma inside or underneath it?

lovely

I have back problems also, I sleep on my side and use a pillow between my legs with my legs drawn up. Mine seems to hurt more if I lay on my stomach. I would think laying on the stomach could cause problems. Is this the first time you have had this problem after sleeping on your stomach?

Seems like the hole in the wafer could move a little and rub your stoma. If you have a stoma nurse, you may need to call her if it continues. I hope you feel better.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,447 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Royal,

Well.......I've actually never slept on my stoma, but I've banged it into things, had my goat hit it with her horns, been punched there and leaned on it a good few times. It does hurt when something contacts it. I would imagine sleeping on it would bruise it somewhat. The outside portion of the stoma can heal up pretty quickly, but the inside is constantly being aggravated by output moving past it. So it's certainly possible you hurt it a bit by sleeping on it. Not sure what you can do about it.......but there is a wound nurse currently on here.......maybe she'll chime in and offer some good advice (hint, hint). Guess you could always pull out some candle molds and make long thin ice cubes to insert into your stoma to relieve the soreness......but I'd never say that out loud (for fear of reprisal). Sorry I can't be of more help....but the answer to your question should be interesting.

Thanks,

Bob

Past Member

Hi royalrose,

I have back problems too and often times I lay on my side where it presses against mine but mostly by the blankets. I haven't had much problems.

Good thoughts and suggestions from lovely and Bob. I agree please check with your wound care nurse and in the meantime use a soft pillow.

Let us know what happens. Mountain.

Past Member

I can only sleep on my stomach, so I always sleep lying on my stomach. I've never had any pain from it. I would see a nurse or doctor to be on the safe side.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dadnabbit

Actually, your pain seems more likely to be a blockage. Be sure your stoma is doing its job. Passing gas, regular output, lying on the stoma should not cause pain like you are describing. Perhaps a call to your doctor, avoiding an office visit to avoid exposure, he should at least be able to reassure you that sleeping on your stoma should not cause pain in passing stool.

Peace

Dadnabbit