Ostomy Memories Again

Replies
Views
HenryM

About seven miles or so west of Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, there is a magnificent trail that I have had the good fortune to have followed on more than one occasion. It proceeds from a wide stand of juniper, cottonwood, and mahogany-barked manzanita, up into a wonderland of towering and oddly shaped sandstone hoodoos in arid, wide-open, desert-like surroundings. It is a climb, cresting, as I recall, at 7,400 feet. When I would hike, I always carried, among other things, a pocket-sized packet of tissue to use when ostomy attention was necessary. On one particular occasion, I was attending to exactly that, just off the trail beside a gnarled old juniper, where I had kicked out with the heal of my boot a small receptacle hole in the sand. Having committed myself to this task and being, consequently, unable to physically move from the spot until I had finished, I suddenly heard a startling sound: a quite recognizable rattle, just five feet away under a stunted sagebrush. A rather large rattlesnake was noisily objecting to my presence. Both of us being equally leery of each other, we remained in place, while I hurriedly completed my emptying activity, and then backed carefully away down upon the trail. He rattled warily a little more, and I made off toward my goal, relieved in more ways than one.

countyclare

Great story, Henry. Thanks for sharing...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Henry,

The way you write, I can just close my eyes and visualize the trail. Thanks! Glad that worked out for you and the snake.

Pup

HenryM

Thank you, Pup.  They say that snake tastes like chicken, but I didn't wish to force that issue.

HenryM

Thanks for your comment.  Hope your summer's going well on the big lake.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

Haha. Maybe next time you encounter one! 
Pup

lovely

Hi HenryM, that is a good story. I have enjoyed all of them. You make them interesting. Best wishes and stay safe.

Pirrip

In the movie, you could push against your tummy with your hands and tighten your tummy muscles, squirting output into the snake's face, driving it away. Thereby saving the life of the Indian chief's daughter, who was tied to a tree, naked. She was so grateful that when you untied her, she ..... Damn! Your word picture was so good, it drew me in!

HenryM

LOL  It drew you in, eh?  You can write the X-rated version, P.  Stay well.

iMacG5

Hi Henry.  Thanks for sharing a great experience.  I felt like I was reading something a guy named Hemmingway wrote.  Please share more of the same.

With gratitude,

Mike

HenryM

Thanks, Mike.  I'm no Hemingway.  For one thing, i have no interest in fishing, altho' I have been to Key West.  Stay well.