Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Skin around barriers


Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:24 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

I've had my ileostomy for 1year & I couldn't imagine not using a adhesive remover wipe but I see a lot that don't. 
Does the skin around the ring/barrier get tougher or less sensitive??


Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:05 pm

  Hi Tmn, 

 I use the adhesive remover wipes for two reasons: 1) to reduce the adhesive on my skin 2) the little packet has liquid in it, when I'm peeling the bag away from my skin it pulls so I pour out the liquid on that stuck adhesive and it melts it instantly. 

For reason 2) alone it's worth it for me. 

That's my take on it.  ..mountain 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:31 pm

If you use skin prep  the adhesive remover wipes helps remove the residue from that. The skin prep leaves a coating on your skin to help the skin not get so irritated.Best wishes and stay safe

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Tmn86,

  I haven't noticed my skin getting any tougher.  But I don't use adhesive remover.  I just use a soapy wash cloth and push between the barrier and my skin with it.  I know others just peel it off, but the soapy wash cloth makes it come right off with no residue.  Then I just wash the peristomal skin with soap and rinse, pat dry or blow dry and then I apply another skin prep before putting on a new pouch.  Everyone is different but that works best for me.  Hope this helps.

Bain

Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm

I used to use the wipes until I discovered the Hollister adhesive remover (Adapt 7731) in a spray can. It works so well as the wafer just falls off. Then I use a 4x4 pad with water to clean skin around stoma. I change out every day and my skin has been flawless for 8 years.  Plus it is 3.4 ozs. so OK to take on an airplanes.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Stay well. Penguins7

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi tmn,

  Well.......as usual....it all depends.  Hollister makes 4 types of barriers with different levels of adhesion, or "sticky-ness".  Depending on which one you use might influence your use of a remover.  If you use stoma powder that also reduces adhesion.  So it really depends on how well what you use actually sticks to you.  If you have any broken or bleeding skin......it would be advised to use the adhesive remover (the ouchless kind).  If your skin is healthy you shouldn't need any.  There are also a variety of removers, as folks have discussed above.  I don't see a downside to using one, other than cost. As for the skin getting tougher........as Bain said....not really.  If you've had skin irritation in the past and used a topical steroid to keep things calm and under control your skin will change over time.  It will develop a sheen to it, indicating it's been permanently damaged by the steroid, but I wouldn't say it's any "tougher".  I change my barrier almost every other day and I don't use an adhesive remover unless I've applied one of the 3M tapes around the barrier periphery to help stop the barrier edges from lifing when I'm in the pool.  That tape literally melts into your skin (and does an incredible job of keeping things in place no matter how wet things get), so I use a remover just over the tape, when I change my barrier.  It instantly soaks thru the tape and makes the adhesive "gum up" so it can be easily removed.  As usual, your mileage my vary!

regards,

bob


Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Thank you all!

MBT
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:48 am

Throwing in my cents. In the case of fragile peristomal skin, history of liver issues, or peristomal varices (superificial, fragile veins), then using adhesive remover wipes/spray are recommended in the first case and a necessity in the last two to prevent major bleeding. Otherwise, the choice of moist washcloth vs adhesive remover is mostly down to preference.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:06 am

Hi all, i had my first ostomy a long time and my original surgeon told me about how to remove the wafer like mentioned earlier to pull or work the skin away from the wafer as he said as i got older the skin changes, and now since i had resection surgery 2yrs. ago and my stoma moved to the left side the skin feels differant where the old stoma was. 

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:28 am

I also have a couple cents to add. I suggest pushing the skin away (into the body) from the wafer rather than pulling the wafer off. The purpose of this method is to avoid stretching the outermost layer of the skin.

This might be just another way of saying what’s already been mentioned.
Definitely use adhesive remover rather than excoriating the skin.

Mike


Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:43 am
iMacG5 wrote:

I also have a couple cents to add. I suggest pushing the skin away (into the body) from the wafer rather than pulling the wafer off. The purpose of this method is to avoid stretching the outermost layer of the skin.

This might be just another way of saying what’s already been mentioned.
Definitely use adhesive remover rather than excoriating the skin.

Mike

 Hi Mike, 
Never thought about pushing instead of pulling. 🙂 good point.  ..mountain.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm
iMacG5 wrote:

I also have a couple cents to add. I suggest pushing the skin away (into the body) from the wafer rather than pulling the wafer off. The purpose of this method is to avoid stretching the outermost layer of the skin.

This might be just another way of saying what’s already been mentioned.
Definitely use adhesive remover rather than excoriating the skin.

Mike


Mike, That is the way I remove my wafer. It is much easier than trying to just pull it off. I just hold the edge of the wafer and push the skin down away from it. Much easier on the skin. Best wishes and stay safe

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:20 pm

This is kind of funny, kind of stupid........but hearing you guys mention how well your barrier sticks reminds me of what I learned the other day.  When I got my ostomy back in 2014 the ostomy nurse told me to always use Ostomy Powder and an adhesive wipe or two.  I never thought much about it, but in the back of my mind I realized I was basically putting talc on my skin, wetting it and then expecting my barrier to stick to that.  And it did, but the adhesion was nothing like what you guys are describing above.  Meaning it didn't stick well enough to ever pull off any skin.  And over the years I've pretty much always used the Ostomy Powder and the adhesive wipes......because Ostomy Nurses know what the heck they're talking about.......with most of them being old and wise....errr...."well seasoned" in their trade........so I never really questioned it.  This summer with the heat and me working outside I asked you guys about tape for the edge of the barrier.......and got great replies. And then the other morning instead of changing my barrier like a robot......I took the time to think each step thru.  When I got to the "apply  Stoma Powder" step I stopped.  I asked myself why the heck am I doing this?  So I got out my tablet and Googled "what is Stoma Powder?".  And it said it's used to absorb any moisture if your skin is weeping or wounded, before putting on a barrier.  Moisture? Wounded skin? I don't have any of those things.  So why am I doing this???  So I didn't put the Stoma Powder on or use the adhesive wipe.  Well............two days later I go to change my barrier.  Holy crap Batman........that bitch was stuck to me like glue!!  So NOW I see what you guys are talking about......and the Stoma Powder will stay neatly in my emergency kit........for use during an emergency!  I'm pretty sure I can safely get at least one more day between barrier changes now.  Not sure how my skin will like that.......but I'm going to find out.  I guess sometimes when you just do things just because........and don't think them thru......we're susceptible to make mistakes like that.  I wonder what else I do everyday without thinking about why I do it.....and probably shouldn't.  Live and learn I guess.  

regards,

bob

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 am

Hey Bob, You are correct that the stoma powder is for absorbing moisture so you are better off without it. The other product available from ConvaTec is DuoDerm extra thin spots.  It is like a bandage you can cut to size and put over a sore area. I would recommend the power and then the DuoDerm over top as this will allow the spot to heal in time.

These stay at home times have allowed me the opportunity to experiment with some differnt prodcts becasue if i have a blow out I am at home.  I enjoy reading your insightful posts and like the added sense of humor. Stay well.  Penguins7


Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 am

I've had my ostomy for over 30 years when I first had it adhesive remover wasn't available.....it was for nurses for removing dressings remember nurses being naughty but nice lol using it to remove my bag as well at the time was so much easier. Its only in the last 20ish years it's been available to us in the Uk anyway for me it's one of the best ostomy products to become available in my 30 + years of having an ostomy I'm one of the lucky ones my bags stick to be as if there welded to my skin so a pain in the ass to remove without adhesive remover I only use adhesive remover spray just a few sqirts is enough to remove base 1 x 50ml can lasts me about 30 changes. when you speak to people that have had ostomys for 40/50 + years  you hear a lot of them that there skin is very delicate and have lots of problems under the flange now, I always ask ostomy nurses at events if they think it's beacuse adhesive remover wasn't available until recent years and all the abuse there skin has taken from the puling damaging the skin over the years most go with my thoughts on it 


Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:33 pm
panther wrote:

I've had my ostomy for over 30 years when I first had it adhesive remover wasn't available.....it was for nurses for removing dressings remember nurses being naughty but nice lol using it to remove my bag as well at the time was so much easier. Its only in the last 20ish years it's been available to us in the Uk anyway for me it's one of the best ostomy products to become available in my 30 + years of having an ostomy I'm one of the lucky ones my bags stick to be as if there welded to my skin so a pain in the ass to remove without adhesive remover I only use adhesive remover spray just a few sqirts is enough to remove base 1 x 50ml can lasts me about 30 changes. when you speak to people that have had ostomys for 40/50 + years  you hear a lot of them that there skin is very delicate and have lots of problems under the flange now, I always ask ostomy nurses at events if they think it's beacuse adhesive remover wasn't available until recent years and all the abuse there skin has taken from the puling damaging the skin over the years most go with my thoughts on it 

    Hi Panther, 
Thanks, very good insight. Nothing trump's experience.   ...mountain. 

MBT
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:41 pm
w30bob wrote:

This is kind of funny, kind of stupid........but hearing you guys mention how well your barrier sticks reminds me of what I learned the other day.  When I got my ostomy back in 2014 the ostomy nurse told me to always use Ostomy Powder and an adhesive wipe or two.  I never thought much about it, but in the back of my mind I realized I was basically putting talc on my skin, wetting it and then expecting my barrier to stick to that.  And it did, but the adhesion was nothing like what you guys are describing above.  Meaning it didn't stick well enough to ever pull off any skin.  And over the years I've pretty much always used the Ostomy Powder and the adhesive wipes......because Ostomy Nurses know what the heck they're talking about.......with most of them being old and wise....errr...."well seasoned" in their trade........so I never really questioned it.  This summer with the heat and me working outside I asked you guys about tape for the edge of the barrier.......and got great replies. And then the other morning instead of changing my barrier like a robot......I took the time to think each step thru.  When I got to the "apply  Stoma Powder" step I stopped.  I asked myself why the heck am I doing this?  So I got out my tablet and Googled "what is Stoma Powder?".  And it said it's used to absorb any moisture if your skin is weeping or wounded, before putting on a barrier.  Moisture? Wounded skin? I don't have any of those things.  So why am I doing this???  So I didn't put the Stoma Powder on or use the adhesive wipe.  Well............two days later I go to change my barrier.  Holy crap Batman........that *** was stuck to me like glue!!  So NOW I see what you guys are talking about......and the Stoma Powder will stay neatly in my emergency kit........for use during an emergency!  I'm pretty sure I can safely get at least one more day between barrier changes now.  Not sure how my skin will like that.......but I'm going to find out.  I guess sometimes when you just do things just because........and don't think them thru......we're susceptible to make mistakes like that.  I wonder what else I do everyday without thinking about why I do it.....and probably shouldn't.  Live and learn I guess.  

regards,

bob

Must've been an old-school ostomy nurse 😉 

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 am
NurseWithAnOstomy wrote:

Must've been an old-school ostomy nurse 😉 

Well........she was OLD!  I think the real cause was because I was only in the hospital a couple days after and while there my barrier was only changed (maybe) twice......and it was changed by them, not me.  So the only practical experience I got changing a barrier was when I got home and was by myself. I would hope that now-a-days new ostomy patients are provided more guidance (maybe videos) that cover most of what can go wrong with stomas, before they leave the hospital.  

Regards 

Bob

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm

My experience at the hospital was about like Bob's. A nurse came in to show me how to change it and I had company. They said they would step out but she said she would come back later, I never saw her again I had to learn on my own. I have learned a lot from this site and looking at video's on line. Best wishes and stay safe

Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:43 pm

I use a spray remover by Convatec which is amazing, lets me easily lift away the edges of the flange then I push my skin in away from the rest of it around the stoma. I use wipes next to get the remaining goo off of my skin and make a smooth surface for the new flange. I had been using a barrier wipe each time I changed because that's how the nurse in the hospital taught me but found out about six months ago that newer flanges aren't made to use with barrier wipes, it decreases their longevity on the skin. Mine had been getting gooey every time I showered with the barrier wipes and after I stopped them, no more goo and my flange can last through showers and pools about 5 days 😁

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:01 pm
Sangria wrote:

I use a spray remover by Convatec which is amazing, lets me easily lift away the edges of the flange then I push my skin in away from the rest of it around the stoma. I use wipes next to get the remaining goo off of my skin and make a smooth surface for the new flange. I had been using a barrier wipe each time I changed because that's how the nurse in the hospital taught me but found out about six months ago that newer flanges aren't made to use with barrier wipes, it decreases their longevity on the skin. Mine had been getting gooey every time I showered with the barrier wipes and after I stopped them, no more goo and my flange can last through showers and pools about 5 days 😁

  
Hi Sangria.  You referred to the barrier wipes you stpped using.  Are they what's also called "no sting barrier film"?

Thanks,

Mike

MBT
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 pm
lovely wrote:

My experience at the hospital was about like Bob's. A nurse came in to show me how to change it and I had company. They said they would step out but she said she would come back later, I never saw her again I had to learn on my own. I have learned a lot from this site and looking at video's on line. Best wishes and stay safe


Sadly, this is common. I am sorry you, Bob, and so many of us did not get the training we needed. It makes places like this community special and essential bridges along with other ostomy resources.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 pm
NurseWithAnOstomy wrote:


Sadly, this is common. I am sorry you, Bob, and so many of us did not get the training we needed. It makes places like this community special and essential bridges along with other ostomy resources.

Hi NWAO,

  You're right.  But as I mentioned on here a while back (before you got here).......it would also have been nice if when I/we left the hospital they handed us a sheet of paper with a list of websites (this one included) that had ostomy info.  I didn't find this site until 4 years after I got my frontbutt.......and I found it by accident one day while looking for something else. Just sayin'.

regards,

bob 

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 am

Hi all when i had my first surgery 30 some years ago for an ilieostomy i was given a book on colostomys and about day 3 i think it was i was taken into the bathroom and told to do a change of the wafer and pouch with the nurse suggesting what to do and how to clean it. I did that once more and then was released to go home. 

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:21 am
ron in mich wrote:

Hi all when i had my first surgery 30 some years ago for an ilieostomy i was given a book on colostomys and about day 3 i think it was i was taken into the bathroom and told to do a change of the wafer and pouch with the nurse suggesting what to do and how to clean it. I did that once more and then was released to go home. 


Hi Ron,

  Yes!  That's what should be done for everyone.  I sure hope it is that way today.  Especially now that they give out ostomies like candy in the OR.  It really is an area where a little info goes a long way, and can stop a lot of problems before they start.  Glad to hear someone used a hospital that had their act together.  

regards,

bob

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 am
iMacG5 wrote:

  
Hi Sangria.  You referred to the barrier wipes you stpped using.  Are they what's also called "no sting barrier film"?

Thanks,

Mike

I think it's the same thing. It's what you would use for crusting if you needed to. I do still use it if I happen to get any skin issues that I have to crust with. Mine are Convatec AllKare protective barrier wipes 😊

MBT
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:00 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi NWAO,

  You're right.  But as I mentioned on here a while back (before you got here).......it would also have been nice if when I/we left the hospital they handed us a sheet of paper with a list of websites (this one included) that had ostomy info.  I didn't find this site until 4 years after I got my frontbutt.......and I found it by accident one day while looking for something else. Just sayin'.

regards,

bob 

My ostomy nurse group has asked me to compile a list of my recommended ostomy resources and products...the ones not found in textbooks & journals 😉 I am working on the list. MeetAnOstomate will be on it.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 pm
NurseWithAnOstomy wrote:

My ostomy nurse group has asked me to compile a list of my recommended ostomy resources and products...the ones not found in textbooks & journals 😉 I am working on the list. MeetAnOstomate will be on it.

Very cool. Can you share the list with us when it's done?

Regards,

Bob

MBT
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:41 pm
 


I'd be glad to!

Melanie

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:10 am
NurseWithAnOstomy wrote:


I'd be glad to!

Melanie

I liked the comment about having and old school nurse lol.  I've had an ileostomy for 20+ years and appreciate hearing how to best handle fragile skin around the stoma.  I stopped using adhesive remover wipes because after repeated use id get a rash, especially after shaving the hair that grows between channges. I use warm water, gentle ph balanced liquid soap (like medical soap, nothing like hand soap) and take time to carefully remove the adhesive ring, etc. any tips you can share would be fantastic. My ileostomy was older than the stoma nurse i had at a recent check up so that was worth a laugh.  

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours