Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,175 members

Tomatoes Coming in the garden. Can I eat?

Posted by Old Bud, on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:45 pm

One of my favorite foods is tomatoes out of the garden. My question to you good folks is. If I peel a tomato can I make a toasted tomato sandwich? Ileostomy. Wouldn't be able to remove the seeds though. Been 3 months past surgery and have not had a blockage but also don't want one. I have been able to pass the small white watermelon seeds OK. Also would love to eat some onions if I cooked them and cut them fine? Need to expand my diet a bit to include some veggies. Thanks for any ideas.

Reply by w30bob, on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi OB,

Well.......your bio says ileo due to colon cancer.  So the question is................is there anything wrong with your small bowel (other than no longer being connected to your colon)?  If there was nothing going on in your small bowel, and you still have all of it...........then there's no real reason you can't eat a pretty normal diet.  This assumes that your surgery was some time ago and you've given your intestines time to heal and adapt.  If that was you I'd say just introduce things slowly and in small quantities and your body will tell you what you can and cannot eat.  Now if a portion (or portions) of your small bowel have exited the building........then all bets are off.  

But specific to you..........3 months is not a lot of time for your bowels to heal and adapt.  I'm going on year 7 (in September) from my slice and dice and my bowels have adapted more in the last year than in the previous  5 1/2.  The "experts" will tell you full bowel adaption occurs in the first 3 years.  They're the same idiots who say there's no Santa Claus.  Everyone is different, but I doubt any dietician specializing in Gastro would approve of you getting too crazy with your diet at this point.  I know is sucks not being able to eat some things.  It's amazing what simple things we took for granted before we got our frontbutt.  Personally, I'd say give it some more time........and then experiment slowly.  I'm hopeful others in your specific situation will chime in and offer their advice, as they'd know better than I.  

regards,

bob

Reply by lovely, on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi Old Bud, I hope you will be able to eat you some tomatoes. They are one of my favorites also, nothing like a good tomato sandwich. Best wishes and stay safe

Reply by looking forward, on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:46 pm

hi maybe just eat a piece of one i agree with bob  you may have to wait a while. the only thing difficult for me is salad

Reply by Daanders, on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 am

I have been a year and a half. I peel the tomatoes . Lettuce is not great. CHew Chew

Reply by ron in mich, on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 am

Hi O B sounds like you got the right idea in peeling them first, when i eat a tomato raw out of the garden the skin shows up in my pouch, as for the onions i love em but ooh the gas they create for me, like others said chew everything well and there shouldnt be a problem.  In regards to Lovelys message as a kid we couldnt aford bacon to often so we ate tomato and lettuce on toast sammiches.

Reply by panther, on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:03 am

Home grown tomatoes hell yesssssssssssssssssssssssss eat them!!! I eat them peel & all......just try 1 and see how it goes in whatever form you feel comfortbale with at first to give you confindce to try anything you like 

Reply by lovely, on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:57 pm
ron in mich wrote:

Hi O B sounds like you got the right idea in peeling them first, when i eat a tomato raw out of the garden the skin shows up in my pouch, as for the onions i love em but ooh the gas they create for me, like others said chew everything well and there shouldnt be a problem.  In regards to Lovelys message as a kid we couldnt aford bacon to often so we ate tomato and lettuce on toast sammiches.

I can also remember when I was young and I would spend time with my grandparentsi n the summer. My grandma would make big ole home made biscuits. I would grab the salt shaker and one of those biscuits and go to the garden and get a tomato wipe it off and that was my snack.

Reply by Xerxes, on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Old Bud,

I pick them everyday from my garden and eat them without a problem and I have an ileostomy.

Xerxes

Reply by anyark, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:56 am

I would just peel the tomatoes for sandwiches.  When I make gazpacho, I don't peel them because the blender totally chops them up.

Reply by Vikingthor, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Tomatoes pose no problems. I've been ileostomy for two-and-a-half years. I eat them regularly. Just chew your food and you'll have no problem. Skin, flesh and seeds, I will pass through you without hindrance.

Reply by Adelaide, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:29 pm

IT WOULD BE VERY WISE, TO NOT EAT THE GARDEN TOMATOES UN-SEEDED   EVEN PEELED...THAT CAN BE TRICKY.

I USE  ROMA  TOMATOES...STILL PEEL THEM, YES, BUT THERE IS VERY,VERY LITTLE SEEDS TO WORRY ABOUT...ADMITTEDLY, NOT AS TASTY AS THE GARDEN ONES... BUT ..

ENJOY....STAY SAFE

Reply by Lost_Treasure, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Remove the skin on all fruit and veggies as they are indigestible and most likely to cause blockages. Chop all your food up finely before you start eating it and then you don’t have to panic about chewing food ad infinitum. When introducing new foods into your diet post surgery, try a tablespoon full and literally wait for the outcome. If no dire consequences, then try a little more the next time round. There are no hard and fast rules as we all have different bodies and we can all react differently to various foods. Tomatoes are very good for you; the seeds shouldn’t pose a hazard and minus the skin they will not cause problems. Enjoy!

Reply by Adelaide, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:56 pm
Lost_Treasure wrote:

Remove the skin on all fruit and veggies as they are indigestible and most likely to cause blockages. Chop all your food up finely before you start eating it and then you don’t have to panic about chewing food ad infinitum. When introducing new foods into your diet post surgery, try a tablespoon full and literally wait for the outcome. If no dire consequences, then try a little more the next time round. There are no hard and fast rules as we all have different bodies and we can all react differently to various foods. Tomatoes are very good for you; the seeds shouldn’t pose a hazard and minus the skin they will not cause problems. Enjoy!

THANKS FOR THAT "LOST TREASURE".. GOOD ADVICE...SO...MYSELF  I AM  FROM THE BEAUTIFUL CITY OF SYDNEY.N.S.W....AND YOU?

Reply by Old Bud, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. Tried to peel a tomatoe and removed as many seeds as I could. Not much tomatoes left.but made a great sandwich.  I'm sure I can pass the seeds and will try that tomorrow. I'm always hungry as I was before this all happened.bi love to eat. Thanks again for your experiences.

Reply by Lost_Treasure, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:55 pm

The secret to peeling a tomato is to stab it with a fork or knife and heat the fruit in a gas flame (which means you have a problem if you have an electric cook top!) the skin will very quickly start to split, rotate it in the flame until all of the surface is heat affected, then plunge into iced water. The skin will just slide off. (For those who don't has access to a gas flame, toss them into a saucepan of boiling water for one minute and then plunge into iced water!)

Reply by Old Bud, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:59 pm
Lost_Treasure wrote:

The secret to peeling a tomato is to stab it with a fork or knife and heat the fruit in a gas flame (which means you have a problem if you have an electric cook top!) the skin will very quickly start to split, rotate it in the flame until all of the surface is heat affected, then plunge into iced water. The skin will just slide off. (For those who don't has access to a gas flame, toss them into a saucepan of boiling water for one minute and then plunge into iced water!)

Cool! Thanks! I will do that.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.