Need help with pancaking and leakage from colostomy!

Replies
Views
Mindy Loo

Twice, the pancaking has led to stool leakage from underneath the wafer. I've tried the baby oil trick, not getting much luck. Any advice?

Past Member

Mindy, does your pouch have a filter? Sometimes that lets too much air escape, and exacerbates pancaking. Try putting a sticky over the filter and see if that helps.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,451 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maried

Make sure a little air stays in your bag...

britathrt60

Before putting a new bag on, blow air into the clipped bag to help prevent pancaking. Good luck!

Pirrip

I found that drinking more water keeps output liquid enough to cause fewer problems....... and it's free!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

I have a lot of problems with pancaking. I use the baby oil and still have to push it down in the bag through the bag. The oil helps to be able to push it to the bottom of the bag. The oil will also slide to the bottom of the bag so you may need to hold the bag up every once in awhile and let the oil go back to the top of the bag. I rub the bag between my hands to redistribute the oil. As some have said, drink a lot of water and leave a little air in the bag. A lot of the problem is diet. I love to eat carbs. I take fiber pills; they help also. Hope this helps. Best wishes and stay safe.

Mindy Loo

Thanks, Laurie!

Tried the trick today but was still pancaking. I then added a piece of medical tape over the sticker to really secure it. I've got an appointment with the Ostomy Nurse tomorrow, hoping she can help. I'll let you know if I find any relief.  

Mindy Loo

Thank you so much, Lovely!

Past Member

Hey Mindy,

Look on YouTube for Vegan Ostomy videos. Eric has a lot of good info in the videos, and he has one or two on pancaking. He also does reviews on different products for ostomies. Hope you can find some info that will be helpful.

Laurie

Past Member

Hi Mindy,

During the day or night trip to the bathroom, I am in the habit of using a 20 oz. pop bottle of water, pouring water in a third of the bottle at a time, sealing the bottom, squishing the bag around, and dumping it out. I do this two more times. It'll get all that goo out of your bag.

Unless it's not convenient (not a private restroom?), doing this method can help minimize the problem.

Otherwise, I would try regulating with that fiber stuff you put a teaspoon in a glass of water. Miralax or the generic store brand.

Just my thoughts, mtnman.

Mindy Loo

Thank you!!

Pouring the water in helps a lot! My ostomy nurse suggested a daily stool softener and hooked me up with some convex pouches. Hoping a combination of all will do the trick :)!

Mindy

taffy

The convex pouch should help a little if your stoma is retracting due to peristaltic action. I have found adding Convatec Stomahesive Seal to be a total lifesaver. I warm it under my arm for a couple of minutes and then it's malleable and can be just manually molded to any size stoma oz. Place the convex pouch over this and it forms an amazing seal. Voila!!

Pinky

All colostomies "pancake" which is why there are lubricant deodorizers out there. Why not get rid of the problem completely by irrigating? (If possible). Your colostomy must be a sigmoid or end ostomy, not transverse. I've been irrigating for 13 years now - no accidents and for the most part nothing in the pouch for 24 hrs until the next morning. Some men get away with irrigating every 48 hrs or more, but I wouldn't advise it. Some people irrigate until they've "tamed" their ostomy to be completely regular. It's a great option common in Europe but not taught often enough in the US.

Ask your WOCN or ostomy support group for more ideas!

Pinky