Vent Leakage: Any Solutions?

Replies
Views
Daanders

Yesterday I woke up with a small spot on my soaker pad from my vent. Last night, I think I am pretty smart and covered it with the little stickers they give you in your bag supplies. Yay! I wake up at 4:00 a.m. There is a big spot on the soaker pad. Bag intact. I guess through the vent. Annoying... Anyone else have this problem?

NJ Bain

Daanders,

Yeah, filters suck. Better off burping the pouch. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,692 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Vents are all disadvantages and no advantage.  I would never consider them.  I agree with Bain. 

xnine

What are you using, my Hollister vent does not leak but it only works for a few hours and then I start ballooning.

lovely

I have seen where many people post about trouble they have with the vented bags. I have a lot of gas, I just burp mine. Best wishes and stay safe.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Daanders, I think vents are just a justification for them to charge you more for the product. They get plugged up and don't work, although I've never had one leak.

Terry

Past Member

I started with Hollister products and the filters were great. I switched to Convatec. I get a better seal, but their filters are useless.

Daanders

Daanders

My cuts are on top of the white part. Someone really messed up. So ticked off.

Puppyluv56

Mine does that too on occasion. Not often, but I irrigate so I don't usually have any output in my pouch. But when I do, this will happen because of sitting or sleeping with legs up, putting pressure on the pouch to push the stool up through the vent. I still order vents but they are only good for a few days or only until you have output. I tried the no vent pouches and did not like them. Having to burp from the get go is a pain in the patoot! At least with the vent, I have a few days of not burping.
Puppyluv

Axl

I use a Braun, the vent has never leaked, it has ballooned but very infrequently. Could you just have a bad batch?

Bill

Hello Daanders.

I gave up with vents (and bags) years ago. I must have a lot of gas at nights because the bags used to blow up like a balloon and then dislodge from the base.  Eventually I started wearing the irrigation sleeves, folded up to make a very large pouch. This resolved the problems at nights for me!

Best wishes

Bill

Daanders

Yes, this bag definitely was a defective one.

Past Member

I'm lucky never had a leak from a vent but known of many people that have done, vents have been on all my bags for about the last 20 years but have never found them to be of any use to stop bag filling with gas, even before they were built into bags the old vents you used to stick on yourself and put pin pricks in were a waste of time.

Penguins7

The problem with vents is that it is an easy leak path when you are sleeping. I would recommend covering it at night and leaving it vented during the day if you prefer a vent. I agree with Bain to burp the bag. Though some mornings if I eat some gassy food, I wake up with a football in my shorts with the vent covered. Personally, I put a sticker over my vent 24/7. Stay well. Penguins7