Controlling Bowel Output: How Much Control Do You Have?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Let me clarify. Even with my short bowel, I've noticed that when I'm having a lot of output... it comes out in spurts... not a slow continuous flow, which of course is peristalsis. But after a spurt, if I wait a few seconds and "push" like I used to do when my ass was connected... I can get a bigger spurt. So I'm wondering if those with longer bowels can control their output even more? If you can, how much control do you have?

Thanks,

Bob

Past Member

Hi Bob,

No, mine has a mind of its own. If I move around like bending back and forth or push like you said, it might do some more.

Puppyluv has said with irrigation it can help control when it moves. Other than that, I don't know.

...mountain.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Bob.

Thanks for another good question. 

From my own perspective, there is very little I can do to control output, but that is not to say that there is no control at all. Like you have described, I can push in the same way I used to with anal output and 'sometimes' there is an appropriate response (other times nothing!). Therefore, I conclude that if there is only intermittent random effects, then I cannot really claim to have control at all.  Irrigation can hardly be termed as 'control', except perhaps for the fact that it allows all (or almost all) output to come at one time, rather than a constant, unpredictable output over time.  

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

No, the impossible dream. It's just a coincidence it happens when you push.

w30bob

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Panther, I'd be the first to agree with you if I didn't continue to see it myself every night. What I'm trying to determine is what exactly happens when you have a normal full bowel, connected to your ass, and you "push". Are you just controlling the sphincter muscle, the ileocecal valve or does the whole bowel contract? I've looked online and so far haven't found an answer. If when we "push" our brain only sends a signal to the sphincter muscle....then I must be seeing things. But if the whole bowel contracts on command......it would explain what I'm seeing. I doubt pushing would have any effect on the ileocecal valve, not that I have one anymore.

So here's why I think we have some control. I tend to not eat much during the day, as I'm always outside working on way too many projects. Eating is just time I can't spend doing things I like. But when it gets dark I come in and eat like a pig. Being short gutted I can eat anything and as much of it as I want without gaining a pound. So I eat....it's fun. Pizza...check. Pint of heavy whipping cream.....check. Half a gallon of ice cream.....sure, why not....don't want it to get freezer burn. So I naturally have a lot of output. Got to pay the piper, so to speak. If I kneel in front of the toilet and count.....I get output every 10 or 15 seconds. It's not a burst, just a slow flow for a second and then it stops........then nothing for 10 to 15 seconds and then it repeats. If I wait until say 13 seconds and "push"......it shoots out of me like shooting a water pistol. And I can do it repeatedly. Maybe I should make a video......... No, really. So by "control" I don't mean I can stop flow or even really influence it much.........but apparently I can increase the size (magnitude) of the peristaltic contraction. So I was wondering if you guys can do it too.

;0)

Bob

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Bob.

Okay! given what you have described, I can say that while irrigating I do seem to be able to influence the ouput by bringing my left leg up to my chest at the time the peristalsis comes into action. It seems that if I do this manouvre I get more output than if I do nothing. However, I have never considered this as having 'control', because I have to rely on the peristalsis as my cue to acting in this way. It seems to me that I can slightly 'influence' how much output there is. This influence is very restricted to the whims of the peristalsis and it does not always happen.

Of course, I would like to think that I had found a way of training and controlling my output, but at this stage I would probably be in the realms of wishful thinking to claim 'control'. For most of the time my system just does its own thing without any influence from me - except of course via irrigation and once that has begun, I still have no control over output. 

I would describe this as the system having more control over me, than I have over it!

Best wishes

Bill