Using Minted Mouthwash for Odor Control in Ostomy Pouch?

Replies
Views
pattonrick73

Can minted mouthwash be used to eliminate odor inside an ostomy pouch?

Store-bought liquids are so expensive.

Just looking to save a few dollars.

Or anyone knows of a homemade solution?

Axl

Hiya Pattonrick73

Try this below, you can do a search for say ... peppermint ... you will get lots of suggestions, I have used the peppermint extract, works well.

Axl

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10887

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I use baking soda.  Just put in a small amount after emptying.  Absorbing odors is one of its many uses.

Puppyluv56

If you can eat it, it should be safe in your pouch. I make my own spray from lemongrass oil or cinnamon oil mixed with alcohol. I use it as a spray when needed but only use it in the pouch if I take it off and spray it away from my stoma. It probably would not hurt me, but I would not swallow alcohol, so I would not let it touch my stoma. I have used mouthwash in my pouch too. Nothing works 100%, but everything helps a little.
Puppyluv

MBT

Mouthwash is safe to use as a deodorizer. As Puppylove suggested, it is best to choose one that is alcohol-free to keep your stoma happier. Some people also use Tic-Tacs or Altoids.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

I use lavender baby oil. It also helps the output to slide down in the bag. Best wishes and stay safe.

JudiA

I have used hydrogen peroxide and it works about 5 cc and slosh it around and empty. You can add fresh after if it is VERY stinky. Also know whatever is safe to put in your mouth is safe to put in your bag. No guarantee that the seal will hold with mouthwash due to alcohol.

Judi

dadnabbit

Pattonrick 73

Essential oils and store brand baby oil both work well and inexpensively. Just takes a few drops.

Peace

Dadnabbit