Intermittent Fasting with an Ostomy: Need Tips!

Replies
Views
Littlebit

Does anyone have experience with intermittent fasting to lose weight with an ileostomy? ;O

Casper9

Hi little bit!

I have been intermittent fasting for a few months now. It took a little while to get used to, and my ostomy was making quite a bit of noise for the first few days. I usually start eating at around 11:00 a.m. and stop eating by 7:00 p.m. Since my body has gotten used to it, everything has been fine. I don't feel hungry in the morning or after dinner. I am taking my calories into account as well. So far, I've lost 15 lb and I'm feeling great! Also, exercising at least four times a week, even if it's just a walk. My ostomy has settled into this routine and it's no problem. Give it a try, it might work for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Littlebit

Thank you Casper9 for the response. I'm on day two and felt a little off yesterday and began wondering how this would work with an ileostomy. I'm going to continue and see how I do. Glad it's working for you!  

Superme

Hi Littlebit, I like what Casper9 wrote and it's good advice. I would say drink as much water as you want. Staying hydrated is important. I eat 3 meals a day with lunch being my biggest meal and dinner being light. Keeping a routine is important too. You don't necessarily have to fast to lose weight. Just not eating past 9 pm would be good. Keeping away from soda and junk food is half the fight. Don't eat until you are full. Eat until you are satisfied. I have a treadmill and I do sit-ups to keep any flab off my sides. I'm not saying you need to have a treadmill but a brisk walk would be helpful. If you like dancing then dance is another exercise. Hope this helps.

Littlebit

Thank you, Supreme! That does help and I appreciate the response.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I find intermittent fasting quite easy as I never used to eat breakfast anyway. I usually have lunch around noon and my dinner before 6 pm, and I don't get hungry until the next lunchtime, strangely enough. I still eat carbs (sorry, but I can never give up bread) and have the occasional treat or two, but I have basically a fairly healthy diet with plenty of protein (eggs, chicken, lean meat, cheese, yogurt, etc.) and bread, pasta, rice, veggies, some fruit. Every couple of days, I take magnesium and B12 vitamins.

I don't own a set of bathroom scales, so I couldn't tell you exactly how much weight I have lost over the last 6 months, but I have gone down one clothing size, so I am more than happy with the results, don't need to see a number.

I have definitely noticed emptying a lot less than I used to, having an ileo this is always a bonus, which is natural enough I guess, the less you eat the less that has to come out!

Littlebit

Thank you JMC. It's encouraging to know it's working for you. I've done several days now and so far it's going okay. Thanks again for the response.