Success with Colon Removal Only?

Replies
Views
Turt

Has anyone had only colon removal? And had a success rate.

Past Member

Hi there, that would be me and all the other Ileo people. How can we help you, friend?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ritz

Me too! How can we help?

w30bob

Sorry Turt..........what's "remal"? Is that short of 'removal'???

;0)

Bob

ron in mich

Hi Turt, define success as I've had no colon for 36 years. But seriously, ask any question and someone will have an answer or experience for you.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Yes, since 1989, I have an ileostomy but I'm not an expert on them. But ask any questions you like. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice.

Turt

Well, I know there are many different reasons for an ileostomy. I was wondering if anyone, like myself, had their whole colon removed and had a successful reversal.

Past Member

I had a sort of reversal with a "J POUCH". A long time ago. I was one of the first who got one. My one failed eventually. New techniques may have improved this method??

First of all, was the rectum removed? Was all of sigmoid colon removed? Did they remove some small intestine also?

An ileostomy is when the small intestine is left intact (all there) and the colon is removed totally. Just about all of my sigmoid and rectum were removed, which means that the "Inner Sphincter" is not present anymore. This means there is only the outer sphincter to keep all that shite where it belongs...inside and not running down your legs!!! My remaining sphincter (outer) did a terrible job of keeping my smelly liquid shite inside, leaked early on, and never worked 100%.

The biggest concern is the acid in the output was burning my skin off my butt and still had to know where the toilet was every place I went.

My cousin in Chicago got connected without an inside pouch (J Pouch) and it has been a long road for him. It is a long recovery process and it can be very troublesome. You should be aware of how difficult it can be. However, the new procedures may be better. I hope someone with a more recent J Pouch or Koch Pouch, Continent Ostomy can write in with more info.

I would advise getting as many details as possible on what is proposed. When you know exactly what the plan would be, just write back for more info from us.

Ask lots and lots of questions and have someone with you to back you up and ask questions on your behalf. You must have a "Wingman/Woman". Hoping to hear from you again, my friend.

Eamon.

Turt

My colon was removed due to an accident I was involved in. As far as I know, I have all my rectum. And they are wanting to do a J-pouch.