Leg Pain After Colostomy Surgery: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
mosedaseda

I had my colostomy on 07/23/21. I was in the hospital until 08/04. I'm 60 lbs down and had nothing but ice chips for a week before and a week plus after surgery. Now that I'm up and moving again, my calves and shins are aching and on fire. I've voluntarily put the compression stocking back on. Did anyone else experience this? Does it go away?

Maried

I would check with your doctor asap. Sometimes after surgery, you can develop blood clots in your legs. Better to be safe and have this pain checked out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi,

I would recommend insisting on an ultrasound.

lovely

I agree with Maried. I would have it checked out. I had a blood clot, but it was in my thigh. I was in a nursing home for a few weeks after my surgery. My thigh got to hurting so bad, I was in tears. The nurse looked at my leg and it was real hot also. She sent me to the hospital and they kept me and started giving me shots of blood thinners. I then had to go on blood thinners for a while. Best wishes.

Past Member

Several months before I had my ileostomy, I was diagnosed with pitting edema caused by an extreme iron deficiency. I remember wearing compression socks before being treated with prednisone. I lost 1/3 of my body weight before surgery. At 5'9", I weighed just under 100 pounds. I had to relearn how to walk because of the extreme weight loss. My legs didn't hurt though.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Several months before I had my ileostomy, I was diagnosed with pitting edema caused by an extreme iron deficiency. I remember wearing compression socks before being treated with prednisone. I lost 1/3 of my body weight before surgery. At 5'9", I weighed just under 100 pounds. I had to relearn how to walk because of the extreme weight loss. My legs didn't hurt though.