Mixing Rings for Barrier Experimentation

Replies
Views
Likafly

Has anyone ever mixed rings like putting cohesive, ceraring, or Brava ring together when making up your barrier? I'm about to do it just because I'm new, have mostly samples and in a good place to experiment. Just curious. Thanks!

Likafly

Thanks, but I don't understand. I'm grading. You're saying yes, mix away!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,453 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Are you talking about two rings at a time? Any ring will go with any barrier. Whatever works best for you. On a visit to the nurse, she gave some Salts rings. They seem to last the longest.

Likafly
Reply to xnine

I haven't heard of salts. I will check them out.

Bill

Hello Likafly.

When you contact 'SALTS HEALTHCARE', ask them for samples of their  Dermacol stoma collar. You will need to know the size of your stoma as these need to be a snug-fit. However, if you get that right, (with a bit of luck)  I think you might find that you can dispense with rings and things altogether. 

They are a British company so I  am not sure whether they ship stuff to the USA or if they have agents over there but it will be well worth your while investigating.

Best wishes

Bill 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Likafly
Reply to Bill

Thanks Bill,

I'll get some samples. That'd be great if they work for my anatomy. I'm a bit flush to recessed on the lower half of my stoma so have been building up the area per WOCN. It sure would cut down my time and probably be kinder to my peristomal area to use the hats if they'll work.

Appreciate the suggestion. Stay safe, Lisa

Superme

Hi again Likafly! If you are talking about barrier rings, I use Eakin Seals around my stoma. Then, I apply my convex Convatec barrier and pouch (2 pc). This gives me full protection from skin irritations, and I can wear my pouch for 4 or 5 days before changing it. Mike

w30bob

Hi Lika,

The answer to your question is yes, you can mix two rings from different manufacturers together, whether to make one big thick ring or one very wide ring. The material from each ring will stick to the other and to your skin.....so no problem. I've got a junk box just like yours and have done all sorts of experimenting with things from different manufacturers. Despite each claiming they have some unique material or product......they're all pretty much the same, so there is room for interchangeability and mixing. Just let common sense be your guide.

Regards,

Bob